SQL Server DBA
Posted on Oct 11, 2019 by ESG Consulting
Our client is adding to their team a SQL Server DBA. This is 12 months contract to perm. Cannot sponsor a Visa. To be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our clients applications. This is a hands-on position requiring excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as solid technical skills. Contract to perm. Once perm the salary max is $91K with fantastic benefits and hour for hour comp time.
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product life cycle environments from development to mission-critical production systems. Configure and maintain database Servers and processes including monitoring system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Test and configure database backups to meet the business's Recovery Point Objectives (RPO) and Recovery Time Objectives (RTO).
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in Real Time, providing problem resolution end-t o end. Determine the most effective way to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes. Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Provide application developers wit h a list of the top 10 most resource-intensive queries on the server and suggesting ways to improve performance on each. Design indexes for existing applications, proactively monitor query performance, and determine when to add or remove indexes.
- Troubleshooting SQL Server service outages as they occur, including providing On-call support during after-hours and weekends. After-hours work may also include, but not limited to scheduled maintenance, supporting application deployment, and hardware/software upgrades.
- Plan and schedule the installation and configuration of new SQL Servers. Analyze the requirements for new projects and determine whether to use clustering, log shipping, mirroring, Windows Azure, or other technologies to solve a business problem.
- Implement SQL Server monitoring utilities; refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes. Configure access levels for each segment of the database.
- Share expertise with team members providing technical mentorship and cross-training as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field from an accredited college or university AND 5+ years MS SQL Server Administration experience required.
- Experience working with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2/2012 & higher (stored procedures, triggers, functions, views, constraints & indexes).
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO) using native monitoring and troubleshoot in g tools.
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availabili ty (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server.
- Experience working with Windows server including Active Directory.
- Understanding of different database models and styles (OLTP, OLAP, NoSQL).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a diverse audience.
- Must be able to act both independent ly and as a team member. Flexible, "get-it-done" personality.
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams.
ABOUT ESG CONSULTING:
ESG Consulting is an award-winning national provider of diversified information technology consulting services to Fortune 1000, public sector entities, and emerging growth firms nationwide.
Founded in 1984, ESG offers almost 35 years of experience in the IT staffing, Engineering and consulting industry. Headquartered in Santa Clara, we have opened offices nationwide and to this day are consistently re- evaluating and expanding our service offerings and geographic capabilities. Today, we serve most major metropolitan markets.
ESG is an equal opportunity company. Our flexible management culture believes in creating a business environment that fosters personal and professional growth and achievement. We make ESG a place where people are treated not as employees but as "partners".