Technical Unix Engineer
Posted on Oct 11, 2019 by Flint Consulting Limited
Flint is looking for a Technical Engineer to support, manage and enhance the day to day operational activities associated with the Sandvine/Teclo virtual and Physical product suite.
The successful candidate will play a role in activities including:
- PTS System VFN management and configuration
- SDE & SPB Appliance Control System management and configuration
- Live Network management services.
The successful applicant must be self-motivated and be capable of completing complex tasks with minimum supervision and have the confidence and ability to promote improvements and introduce new technologies.
The role will require co-ordination with a wide range of other project teams both within and external to the customer. The successful candidate will be required to represent the customer as the technical expert in meetings with vendors and must be capable of dealing confidently with experts in similar and different disciplines. The role may require regular travel to manufacturer premises and customer sites around the world to support system integration activities
- Manage the day to day operational activities associated with Network Management
- To provide effective co-ordination & Management of the PTS system
- Interact with the contractor team, co-ordinate and lead (where appropriate) Sandvine system development, helping to ensure day to day Network integrity
- Develop test tools, simulations as appropriate in support of performance evaluation exercises
- Work closely with other members of the Network systems engineering team in programme planning and management.
- Initiate team projects to validate and characterise aspects of system behaviour and performance
- Management of test infrastructure to support proving of network optimisation or network enhancements, including development of requirements, specification and procurement within agreed budgets
- Developing low level systems engineering knowledge of entire Inmarsat end to end network Operation.
- Working with vendors and internal stakeholders to define and design new services and features to improve performance or meet new service requirements
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong experience in Unix Sys Admin - specifically command-line etc
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of networks.
- Virtualisation (KVM preferred over VMware, although either is good).
- Thorough understanding of Sandvine/Teclo Virtual & Physical appliances.
- Knowledge of Sandvine PTS, SDE & SPB fixed & virtual systems integration.
- Sandvine experience or experience of other policy and traffic shaping tools.
- A complete understanding of the SDE PCFR system architectural including 3GPP Release 11 compliant GX & Rx interface.
- Traffic optimisation experience using TCP accelerator products.
- IP/routing protocols, including QoS.
- Shell Scripting (eg Bash).
- First Degree or equivalent in Electronic Engineering, Telecommunications, Computing Science or related technical discipline
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment, able to balance multiple projects and tasks, complete them successfully, and within timelines
- Good relevant practical experience in Network systems design, testing and verification, data communication and networking.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£21k - £27k Annual
£13.5 - £14 Hourly
£21k - £27k Annual