Posted on Oct 3, 2019 by State Chamber of Oklahoma
The State Chamber of Oklahoma is seeking an experienced executive as its next President and Chief Executive Officer. The ideal candidate will possess leadership skills essential for directing all areas of the organization with demonstrated success in organizational management, public policy, and advocacy.
The State Chamber's purpose is to ensure that those creating public policy hear the voice of membership before casting their vote. As a representative and powerful voice of all State Chamber members at the Capitol, the CEO will work to foster a business-friendly climate for all Oklahomans. To accomplish this, the CEO will work with the Executive Committee, Board of Directors and staff to identify legislative priorities and establish policies that will continue to grow the Oklahoma economy.
This individual will oversee all aspects of the organization while also functioning as the strategic leader and "public face" of the State Chamber.
- The President and CEO report to the Board of Directors and works closely with the 20-member Executive Committee of which the CEO is a member.
- The CEO supervises a staff of approximately 22 and manages an annual budget of approximately $4.5 million. This position is located in Oklahoma City.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees, directs and assumes accountability for all operational functions for the State Chamber of Oklahoma to ensure the organization is functioning at the highest level.
- Coordinates the efforts of the State Chamber divisions to meet the goals and objectives of the Board of Directors.
- Conducts a continual evaluation of the effectiveness of Chamber programs to determine present and future needs.
- Establishes policies and procedures, and reports the overall level of success of various divisions and programs to the Board of Directors according to those procedures.
- Supervises and leads the State Chamber staff as the executive responsible for all employment, duty assignments, training, and evaluations.
- Determines the vision for the organization and prioritizes programs and initiatives to align with the State Chamber's overall goals.
- It creates a working environment that values teamwork and fosters collaboration among the staff and ensures that the team is working toward a common goal.
Public Policy Leadership
- Directs and participates in lobbying activities within the state legislature.
- Cultivates relationships and maintains strong communication lines with public policy leaders in order to elevate the pro-business climate in Oklahoma.
- Establishes relationships with legislators and regulatory agencies in Oklahoma and Washington, D.C.
- Oversees activities related to maintaining effective member relationships across Oklahoma.
- Communicates with members through in-person visits, events, print, and digital communications.
- Motivates membership to financially support the State Chamber and its policies and programs.
- Prepares and implements annual strategy, goals, and objectives for the State Chamber.
- Determines short and long-term objectives and formulates plans relating to research, development, and implementation of State Chamber programs.
- Assumes general responsibility for the overall management of State Chamber finances.
- Develops the organization's $4.5 annual budget, approves all specific budget expenditures and presents a budget to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Serves as the primary fundraising executive for the State Chamber by cultivating relationships and participating in stewardship activities with funders across the state.
- Serves as the primary spokesperson for the State Chamber in the media, through public speeches, and by serving on various boards, committees, and councils to communicate the mission, needs, and objectives of the organization.
- Regularly communicates with membership, board members, news media, elected officials, local chambers of commerce, prospective members, etc. through all available mediums - including social media.
- Works with the communications team to develop and coordinate public relations strategies to improve the State Chamber's overall image and increase visibility across the state.
- Develops and maintains high-functioning, strategic partnerships with local chambers of commerce and business organizations to coordinate lobbying and economic development activities as needed.
- Establishes relationships with other organizations pertinent to the interest and needs of the State Chamber.
- Serves as Chair of the State Chamber We Mean Business PAC.
- Serves as the President of the State Chamber Research Foundation and has responsibilities for the administration of the affairs of the Foundation.
This position requires regular travel across the state to meet with membership, legislators and business leaders. The CEO will also travel to Washington, D.C. with membership and staff for the annual D.C. Fly-In Event.
Bachelor's degree required; Advanced degree in business, law, political science, public administration or related field is preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have at least 10 - 15 years of progressive leadership experience in an executive role within a public or private organization or at a large state, regional or metropolitan chamber of commerce.
- Candidates should have a strong connection to the Oklahoma business community.
- The ideal candidate will have a positive statewide reputation and the ability to interface and collaborate with those in both urban and rural areas of Oklahoma.
- Candidates should have strong relationships with current business leaders and leaders in the legislature.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
- Understanding of and experience with fundraising for a membership organization.
- Excellent knowledge of best practices in organizational management, effective strategies in coalition building, global market trends and international trade opportunities for Oklahoma business expansion, public policy progress and grassroots strategies for successful legislative and regulatory advocacy efforts and financial strategies.
- Political awareness and understanding of the legislative process in order to accomplish the organization's goals at the Capitol.
- Exceptional comprehension of how public policy changes may affect Oklahoma businesses of all sizes, in all industries and in all geographical areas.
- Deep understanding of public policy solutions and opportunities.
- Focused on building relationships with all the State Chamber's various audiences.
- Strength in conflict management and negotiation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including oral and written communication skills.
- Basic understanding of how to utilize updates in internal technology and data systems to further the mission of the organization.
About the State Chamber of Oklahoma
Representing more than 4,300 Oklahoma businesses and 275,000 employees, the State Chamber of Oklahoma has been the state's leading advocate for business since 1926. Our mission is to make sure that those creating public policy hear your voice before they cast their votes. We provide a bold voice for the Oklahoma business community and are the driving force behind pro-business legislative initiatives that advance our state's economy.
The State Chamber of Oklahoma Research Foundation is a private 501(c)3 organization that is dedicated to public policy research that promotes Oklahoma's growth and success. As the state's leading source for forward-thinking policy research and analysis, the Foundation is a driving force in developing public policies that strengthen Oklahoma's future in a competitive global economy. The State Chamber Research Foundation has provided research for Oklahoma policymakers, businesses and citizens since 1981. An initiative of the State Chamber of Oklahoma, the Research Foundation is committed to providing high caliber research relevant to policy decisions impacting Oklahoma's economy, health, workforce, business climate and quality of life.
About the CEO
The State Chamber's current CEO Fred Morgan is departing the organization to pursue other opportunities after serving in his role for more than 10 years. Morgan will continue to lead the organization through June 2020 to ensure a smooth and successful transition for his successor.
The application period ends on October 31, 2019.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.