Carbon Programme Manager
Posted on Oct 2, 2019 by Acre
BT are building and leading the UK digital skills movement with one simple ambition: to use the power of communications to make a better world, for their customers, for their communities and for society.
BT's ambition is to create a team to help continue to define, design and deliver their most ambitious, future-looking strategy to date - to provide digital skills, support and empowerment to individuals, led by the Digital Impact and Sustainability (DI&S) team.
Acre is proud to be working with BT to identify individuals to join the business across a range of roles; from digital literacy and the role of AI, through to human rights and climate change, all with the purpose to build more inclusive societies; made from a modern blend of skillsets required where performance and purpose meet.
BT is a technology company respected for their research, innovation and brand, capable of achieving positive impact at scale. They support emergency services, hospitals and banks, keeping economies around the world online, safe and secure, whilst also delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport. They have relationships with a wide range of customers, including 30m consumers, 1m businesses and around 1,500 multinational corporations.
BT is evolving in response to significant change in market conditions, regulation and competition. Their ambition is to build a leadership position in creating a more productive relationship with digital technology. This is an exciting time to join an influential organisation.
BT has set ambitious targets to reduce its carbon emissions intensity by 87% by 2030 against a 2016/17 baseline and be a net zero emissions business by 2045. As part of the transition to a low carbon business model, BT had previously set itself a target in 2008 of an 80% reduction of its carbon emissions by 2020. After reaching this target four years ahead of schedule, BT's 2030 target, approved by the Science-Based Targets Initiative, is aligned with the most ambitious aim of the COP21 Paris Agreement to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius
The Carbon Programme Manager will play a crucial role in ensuring that progress towards meeting BT's carbon targets is made, taking responsibility for working with various BT business units to develop plans, build investment cases, gain approval for investment, and track progress in terms of carbon reduction as well as investment requirements.
* Driving the decarbonisation strategy in the business to meet the 2030 target
* Developing business cases with finance, business units and technology teams to build the medium-term plans
* Executing programmes across BT and delivering against long term carbon targets
* Tracking progress towards the target
* Presenting progress updates to BT's ExCo and other senior internal stakeholders
* Reporting on progress through BT's reporting mechanisms
* Co-ordinating and working with BT teams on developing the external supportive environment BT will need to meet its targets, e.g. on national charging infrastructure
* Build the programme plan for the environment team
This is a major transformation programme for a leading UK company with a very ambitious target. The successful candidate will play a leading role in its decarbonisation journey, which will be highly visible in this space and help the organisation to maintain its climate action leadership position.
* Strong financial and commercial acumen
* Experience of working on a large and complex carbon reduction and/or sustainability programmes
* Excellent programme and project management experience ideally with PRINCE2
* Ability to work with Excel to a high standard and translate complex data into digestible communications
* Excellent presentation and communication skills at ExCo level
This role is a fantastic opportunity where you will help decarbonise BT's fleet, look at EV charging infrastructure programmes and working closely with the property and estates team to ensure a low carbon portfolio. If you have the ambition and skillsets required to take on this challenging role, then please apply for more information.