Posted on Oct 2, 2019 by Actica Consulting Ltd
Start Date: Subject to Clearance
Salary: 24,000 - 28,000
This is an exciting opportunity to work within the company's IT team. You will be responsible for maintaining and upgrading a range of technologies utilised by the company itself. This will include maintaining services and responding to support requests, as well as the development of new systems and services.
The role will also provide a fantastic springboard into a consulting career. You will be given the opportunity to take training and gain experience in relevant consulting areas and in time engage in client facing activities. As a consultant you will be responsible for the provision of technical advice and development work a wide range of UK public sector and defence organisations. Your help will enable them to get the maximum benefit from their ICT investments and support nationally critical projects.
Due to the nature of customer side working, regular travel within the UK can be expected if you take on consultant responsibilities. The base office is in Guildford but it is possible that in a consulting role you will find your time split between working on client sites and in the Guildford office.
- You will have the opportunity to explore new technologies in a development environment and integrate them into existing systems.
- We provide relevant training, including online, classroom and in-house course provision, leading to nationally recognised qualifications.
You will also have the opportunity to build a career in consulting, specialising in the application of a broad range of methodologies and technical specialisations to a wide range of business problems.
As a consultant you will provide consultancy to public sector and defence organisations using your technical expertise to help them get maximum benefit from their ICT investments and business change requirements. The range in clients and project work ensures that you will gain exposure to a variety of technical challenges in a short space of time.
A career mentor will be on hand to provide support and guidance throughout your journey with Actica. You will also work with a performance and development manager who will conduct six monthly reviews to set career objectives and identify training courses which are both relevant to your current project work, and aligned with your planned career progression.
As part of the Actica IT team you will be responsible for:
- Maintenance of company information systems;
- Acting as 1st Line Support and escalate support requests as required;
- Liaising with IT suppliers when on site undertaking work;
- Attending relevant IT meetings and providing updates;
- Carrying out monitoring of systems to ensure system health and security;
- Maintenance of Firewall and gateway security policies;
- Responding to security alerts and liaising with System Security Officer on any incidents;
- Carrying out development work of new Information Services: build, test and roll-out to live.
As a consultant, and working as part of a larger Actica team, you could undertake a number of consultancy assignments that could include:
- Developing strategies for future delivery of ICT services to meet the client's business needs and in accordance with the Government's ICT and other strategies;
- Defining end-to-end architectures including Business, Applications, Data and Infrastructure;
- Production of User and Service Requirements Documentation;
- Supporting large ICT procurements, including developing procurement documentation, and evaluation strategies and evaluating bids;
- Providing technical assurance that proposed solutions are fit for purpose.
Qualifications and Experience
You will ideally have Computer Science or IT based degree and experience of system administration within a Microsoft environment. You will be proactive, self-motivated, and be able to keep up with the rapid pace of ICT. You will be expected to identify areas for expansion of the current IT services to provide additional benefits to the company.
- Proficient in Active Directory;
- Managing Virtualised Infrastructure;
- Securing Information Systems;
- Experience of following IT Security Policy;
- Principles of Networking (DNS/DHCP/Layer 3 Firewalls/Routing);
- Ability to learn and test new technologies and integrate with existing systems.
- Windows Server 2012;
- Microsoft Exchange 2013;
- Linux management (Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04);
- Scripting of tasks through Windows Powershell;
- Cisco firewall management (ASDM or CLI);
- VPN configuration and management;
- Microsoft Group Policy;
- Endpoint Management Technologies;
- Security Incident handling.
The nature of the Actica's business means that a wide and varied background is preferable and the capability to adapt quickly to change is always required.
You may not feel that your skills precisely match the requirements of this job specification; however, we encourage you to apply if this is a role that appeals to you. We require individuals with a broad skillset, so there may be other aspects of your experience which are equally important to us, but that are perhaps not listed in the role specification above.
Actica aims to nurture a diverse workforce through inclusive working practices, promoting equality in our recruitment activities, and by employing candidates on the basis of merit. Discrimination against individuals on the grounds of protected characteristics is not permitted and we take steps to ensure that our staff are made aware of their legal responsibilities when making hiring decisions.
We are keen to improve diversity within our organisation and the industries in which we work, and hope to employ individuals who share that view.
Candidates must be eligible and willing to gain UK Security Clearance to apply for this position.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£30k - £35k Annual
£30k - £35k Annual