Data Scientist Manager
Posted on Sep 21, 2019 by Allstate Insurance Company.
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
As a Sr. Data Scientist in Allstate Technology and Strategic Ventures (ATSV), you will work to solve a broad variety of analytics problems spanning operational analytics, automation, and anomaly and fraud detection. You will use your predictive, prescriptive, and descriptive modeling expertise as a consultant helping multiple technology and business areas to design and develop next generation analytics solutions and applications. This includes the strategy and design of complex projects as well as coding, and also supports project planning and mentoring. You will also be leading and developing a team of Junior Data Scientists. Your team of ATSV Data Scientists is co-located with and partnered closely to our 300+ person Data Discovery and Decision Science (D3) analytics center of excellence. As part of this collaborative, cutting-edge, Agile environment, you will be constantly challenged and encouraged to develop your skill set. Youll need a strong math and programming background and an understanding of experimental methods paired with great communication skills to thrive in this job.
As a Sr. Data Scientist will be responsible to:
- Use best practices to develop statistical and machine learning techniques to address business needs
- Use and learn a wide variety of tools including R, Python, Scala and any other future analytic systems or languages
- Research and evaluate new tools and technologies to solve business problems
- Design and build new Big Data applications for turning data into actionable insights
- Develop advanced analytics solutions and integrate new tools to improve descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics
- Translate business concepts to technical implementations to drive alignment and decision making
- Work on a geographically dispersed team embracing Agile and DevOps strategies for yourself and others while driving adoption to enable greater technology and business value
- Participate in strategic planning discussions with technical and non-technical partners
- Lead and mentor Junior Data Scientists and continually develop yourself
- Advanced degree in Scientific or Quantitative field such as computer science, mathematics, or biology or equivalent experience
- 3+ years professional experience using statistical modeling or machine learning to build models that drive decisions
- R, Python and/or Scala
- Experience managing and manipulating large datasets
- Familiarity with source control solutions (ex git, GitHub)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Open to new ideas and technologies with a strong desire to learn
- Ability to analyze and solve problems in a creative and innovative fashion
- Ability to research and document project design, approach, and architecture
- Ability to engage subject matter experts and translate business goals into actionable solutions
- Ability to work effectively with business and technical teams
- Ability to identify and drive aligned technical direction with all stakeholders
- Comfort with participating in a high-performing geographically dispersed team
- Sound knowledge of Relational Databases (No-SQL databases and Hadoop is a plus)
- Experience leading direct reports or leading resources on a project basis
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment