Posted on Sep 14, 2019 by Sky Betting & Gaming
For you, engineering means more than authoring quality, tested code. It includes the end-to-end delivery pipeline; code driven deployment infrastructure; automated test safety nets; and effective operational instrumentation and incident response.
You'll feel comfortable working in an architectural domain, at ease debating delivery priorities with the squad's Solution Architect, Product Owner and Business Analyst. You are an expert in sustainable software engineering, but don't gold plate or prematurely abstract for a re-use that never materialises.
You are comfortable as a leader and mentor of your fellow engineers, who often ask you for advice and guidance. You're a team player, who works collaboratively to achieve the shared squad goals. You are unafraid to challenge aspects outside your direct remit and passionately champion 'the right thing'.How you will do it…
Reporting into an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Turn concepts and requirements into highly available web applications and systems using industry standard languages and technologies such as TypeScript, React, GraphQL, Docker, Prometheus, AWS, Terraform, and SASS/SCSS.
- Actively participate and lead on application and database design, data flows and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the wider view of technical and business impact.
- Take ownership for code quality, security and scalability and have an equal grasp of the overall system you are working on and how it meets the needs of the end users, and business objectives.
- Balance the commercial needs of the business against the ideal technical design, proposing sound phased or tactical implementations where appropriate.
- Understand the importance of non-functionals such as real-time monitoring, good alert design and great logging strategies. Ensuring systems perform well to deliver the best user experience possible is something you consider as part of the normal delivery process.
- Proactively support and mentor other team members, working with them to help them improve their skills.
- Support the implementation of continuous integration to enhance deployment processes.
- Liaise with other teams across the business to communicate and coordinate.
- Work with other Principal Engineers, technical and non-technical stakeholders, and system architects to envision, design and deliver industry leading systems, and to set a sustainable forward strategy.
- Take on the day-to-day management duties for the other engineers in your squad, including recruitment for engineers as required.
We really care about your professional development. As a member of a technical team, you'll get 10% of your working week to dedicate to self-directed learning and development. You'll also have £1,000 per year in a Tech Ninja fund to supply you with resources, whether that be a conference ticket or an AWS exam, we've got it covered.
Our People Ambition is to attract & develop diverse & talented people to meet the current and future growth needs of SB&G. Together, our aim is to create the Best Digital Business to work at .Mon to Fri - Standard