Scientific Associate I, Genotyping and Cryopreservation
Posted on Sep 14, 2019 by Harvey Nash IT Recruitment Switzerland
Only English-written CVs will be accepted.
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted.
For our client in Basel we are looking for a Scientific Associate I, Genotyping and Cryopreservation for a 5-month contract.
Duration: 5 months
Possible extension: up to 18 months
Start date: ASAP End date: 08.03.2021
To conduct genotyping analysis of genetically modified mouse lines housed in our breeding facility and to perform cryopreservation/re-vitalization of genetically modified mouse lines. Project-based support of initial genetic characterization of newly generated mouse lines, thus contributing to in vivo research in various research areas within the company's Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
- Planning and execution of experiments to determine the genotype of genetically modified mice according to established protocols.
- Performing embryo freezing, sperm freezing and in vitro fertilization (IVF) experiments (including in vivo work) according to established protocols.
- Conduct experiments to genetically characterize newly generated mouse lines according to established protocols.
- Contribute to the implementation and set-up/design of new experimental methods in genetic characterization.
- Ensuring accurate documentation and reporting of generated data.
- General organization and maintenance of the laboratory infrastructure (eg ordering of consumables, ensuring periodic maintenance of laboratory equipment).
- Focus on the success of the whole Transgenic Services group, delivering state-of-the-art in vitro/in vivo work and showing willingness to support, with high flexibility, other activities of the unit.
Biological technical assistant/Bachelor's degree in life sciences
Fluent in German and/or English
Two or more years of experience in molecular biology and in vivo work, preferably in the areas of genotyping and mouse model preservation
Molecular biology skills:
- Experience in designing and setting up specific PCR protocols that allow unambiguous determination of mouse genotypes
- Experience in qPCR methods (SYBR, Taqman, ddPCR) and NGS library preparation is a plus Cryopreservation/In vivo skills:
- Experience embryo/sperm freezing and in vitro fertilization (IVF) experiments (including in vivo work)
- LTK1 certification
Scientific background in mouse model generation:
- Working knowledge of mouse model types, transgene structures and strategies (eg inducible KO), Mendelian genetics
- Theoretical knowledge about the process of transgenic and knockout mouse generation would be helpful to understand experiments for genetic characterization of newly generated or imported mouse lines
- Experience with ordering processes and logistics
- Ordering of laboratory consumables using e-Shop or alternative tools
Values and Behaviours:
- Innovation: Willingness to stay up to date with current scientific and/or technological developments. Challenges processes for achieving high quality results.
- Quality: Strong perception of the responsibility and necessity to deliver high quality results. Ability to stay focused and precise during repetitive work.
- Collaboration: Proactive, professional and respectful approach towards all colleagues and clients. Good level of communication and networking. Understands significance and meaning of working in a service-oriented lab.
- Performance: High level of motivation. Interest in understanding the science for an optimal collaboration with project teams and for the best implementation of new technologies. Demonstrates a high degree of flexibility and teamwork. Achieves a high degree of working independently
- Courage & Integrity: Demonstrates accountability for her/his own actions and feels responsible to contribute to the success of the unit within NIBR/NVS. Addresses issues openly and without hesitation.
We offer you a competitive salary and an interesting challenge in a well named company which will benefit your career.
If you are the person we're looking for please submit your application. We're looking forward to getting to know you.