Senior SQL Database Administrator/Senior MS SQL DBA
Posted on Sep 6, 2019 by Levy Associates Ltd
Senior SQL DBA/Senior SQL Database Administrator/Senior MS SQL DBA
The role at a glance
As Senior MS SQL Server Database Administrator, you will be part of the 16-strong Database Team. Your primary responsibility will be to provide technical database support across a multi-platform infrastructure (Windows, Oracle Solaris and Red Hat Linux).
Specific responsibilities include:
- Providing day-to-day support for the production and development systems and activities in a structured manner
- Providing production support and project support
- Monitoring capacity, integrity and performance of production systems
- Installing new database Servers for Production, Test and Development environments, understanding the performance and resilience characteristics of the key hardware/software components and ability to follow standard procedures
- Implementing a suitable backup strategy to support an application
- Carrying out performance and tuning at database server level, demonstrating an understanding of application level issues
- Maintaining monitoring systems to provide 24x7 cover
- Modifying and maintaining existing scripts to handle minor changes in infrastructure
- Reproducing and simplifying problems for resolution by Microsoft and/or SAP technical support.
- Understanding the impacts/implications of undertaking 'unsafe' operations, and minimising their risk
Ideal Senior SQL DBA profile
You should have at least five years' MS SQL Server experience (ideally Certified). You must also have a strong track record in writing and installing scripts for database administration tasks, such as backups and capacity monitoring. You have experience with complex data migration projects in Enterprise environments. Experience with Data Center Move projects is very desirable as well.
We would also expect you to have the following core technical skills:
- Strong MS SQL product knowledge.
- Building severs and databases to global standards
- Write technical documents
- Extensive performance & tuning experience
- An understanding of fault-finding database client connectivity
- An understanding of database security and auditing
- An understanding of network, concurrent access and locking issues.
- An understanding of database logging and recovery and how to recover from the various failure scenarios.
- Powershell Scripting
- Experience performing server consolidation
- Administration of databases in a Storage Area Network environment
- Financial markets experience
- Good team working ethic
- Willingness to work outside of standard working hours, including weekends
- Willingness to travel to London and other overseas offices, as required
- Proactive attitude, LEAN mindset
- Independent worker who seeks but does not require guidance
- Ability to work fast and accurately