Network Support Specialist (SME Lev 3.) NIH ITB -19-088 (P)
Posted on Sep 6, 2019 by HMS Technologies Inc
HMS TECHNOLOGIES is seeking candidates to support a large, multi-disciplinary National Institutes of Health (NIH) contract, by providing the NIH Office of Research Services (ORS) and ORF) with Operations and Maintenance for the Bethesda, MD Information Technology Branch (ITB). Support for the ITB will ensure the application and system availability of ITBs Application Hosting Environment (AHE) virtual server infrastructure platform. Experienced program management and technical personnel are essential for accomplishing the work to be performed.
HMS is seeking a Network Services Support Specialist that will provide support spanning the areas of planning, installation, maintenance, upgrade of the network operation systems, and development of installation and configuration standard operating procedures. The qualified candidate will have multiple years of networking experience covering multiple hardware platforms and experience following industry best practices as required by the NIH ITB.. Requirements:
- Use network monitoring and diagnostic tools to capture and analyze packets at different layers of the OSI model to troubleshoot IP v4 and IPv6 network traffic problems; or, proactively, remediate possible problems;
- Adhere to HHS, NIH and ITB security standards including but not limited to applying security patches and following security directives;
- Install OS, service packs, hot fixes, security, and other server firmware updates;
- Support containerization of web-based applications. The current environment includes Docker running on RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL);
- Support the design, installation, configuration, and troubleshooting of all switches and load balancers. ITB currently uses Cisco switches and A10 load balancers running at Layer 2 and 3.
- Support, manage, troubleshoot, and upgrade enterprise virtual hypervisors including but not limited to VMware vSphere infrastructure and Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor Virtualization (AHV) on a private and public cloud platform;
- Support, manage, troubleshoot, and upgrade enterprise virtual Server Infrastructure on Hyperconverged Infrastructure including but not limited to Nutanix HCI;
- Support, Manage, troubleshoot, and upgrade enterprise network data backup system including but not limited to Cohesity;
- Provide support in hosting infrastructure services supporting the ORS and ORF community including but not limited to AD Account management, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) management, DNS management, file and print management.
- Supervise, coordinate and/or perform additions and changes to network hardware and operating systems, and attached devices; including investigation, analysis, recommendation, configuration, installation, and testing of new network hardware and software.
- Provide direct support in the day-to-day operations on network hardware and operating systems including the evaluation of system utilization, monitoring response time and primary support for detection and correction of operational problems.
- Troubleshoot at the physical level of the network, working with network measurement hardware and software, as well as physical checking and testing of hardware devices at the logical level working with communication protocols.
- Participate in planning design, technical review and implementation for new network infrastructure hardware and network operating systems for voice and data communication networks.
- Maintain network infrastructure standards including network communication protocols such as TCP/IP. Provide technical consultation, training and support to IT staff as designated by the government.
- Diagnose and resolve complex communication problems.
- Required Skills and Experience:
- 8+ Years of relevant work experience in IT and in new and related older technology
- Possess requisite knowledge and expertise pertaining to Information systems architecture, networking; telecommunications, automation, communications protocols, risk management/electronic analysis, software, lifecycle management, software development methodologies, and modeling and simulation.
- Commensurate experience in IT and in new and related older technology that directly relates to the required area of expertise.
- Demonstrate exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Experience analyzing user needs to determine functional requirements and define problems and develop plans and requirements in the subject matter area for moderately complex to complex systems related to information systems architecture, networking; telecommunications, automation, communications protocols, risk management/electronic analysis, software, lifecycle management, software development methodologies, and modeling and simulation
- Bachelors degree
- Eight (8) years of experience in the field
The following certifications and skillset are preferred:
- Microsoft MSCE, Windows Server OS, IIS, PowerShell, System Center Operation and Configuration Management,
- Microsoft Azure Administration
- Microsoft Azure DevOps
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Professional
- VMware Data Center Virtualization (DCV) Design or Deploy
- Nutanix Platform Expert (NPX)
- IBM BigFix Lifecycle Administration
- Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management (ITIL) v3 or higher
- CompTIA Security+ Certified Professional
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Public Trust Tier2 security clearance- Moderate risk (formerly MBI Level 5B)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.