Civil Engineering Technician
Posted on Sep 6, 2019 by Clapsaddle-Garber Associates, Inc.
Is responsible for performing engineering project design and drafting from working sketches and field data, under direct supervision of an engineer or senior technician. Depending on work load, this position may also include construction observation and assisting surveyors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepares complete and detailed engineering designs using computer aided design (CAD) and other engineering software to
· Transform initial rough product design in to working documents
· Performs routine engineering computations including grades, earth quantities and material estimates
· Create quality grading and plot plans
· Develop preliminary and final engineering drawings for the design of street, storm drain, sanitary sewer and other public works facilities.
2. May assist in developing survey maps and layouts, when necessary.
3. Self-check own work for accuracy, completeness, and compliance to standards and established specifications.
4. Researches existing engineering records.
5. Identify and develop continuous improvements.
6. Assists with engineering field operations as directed.
· Records quantities and progress of constriction activities
· Performs material testing procedures and records results
· Assists with construction staking
· Completes construction inspection
7. Focuses on client relationships including, but limited to building regulating agencies, builders/developers, contractors and the general public.
8. Foster teamwork among staff members and company.
9. May be responsible for some design elements.
10. May direct or coordinate the other technicians.
11. Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Technical Capacity
- Problem Solving
- Continual Learning
- Project Management
- Interpersonal Skills
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phone, multi-functional device (copier/printer/fax), and filing cabinets. The job may occasionally operate in the field with the survey or construction review crews.
This is a largely sedentary role; however some filing is required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The position may involve some field work (survey work and construction observation) depending on workload. Field work involves working outdoors, standing for long periods, and often walking long distances.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, unless otherwise indicated. Expected work hours are in accordance with the Employee Guide to Personnel Policies & Practices.
No overnight travel is anticipated. Occasional local day travel may be required.
Education and Work Experience:
- AA Degree in Construction or Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent work experience
- 2+ Years' Experience in position with increasing responsibility as a CAD technician
- Proven ability to develop and produce civil engineering drawings in Auto CAD including experience with civil 3D and/or other civil design related Auto CAD based design aid software packages.
- Survey experience, field and/or office, is a plus, and the position may involve some construction observation depending on workload.
4. Microstation and GEO Pack, preferred
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge and skills in CAD and design software. (new)
- Knowledge of civil engineering application related to soils, drafting, construction, surveying, materials testing, and field inspections
- Knowledge of drafting standards.
- Familiar with field concepts, proficiencies, and procedures.
- Ability to research, interpret, and compile analytical data.
- Drawing interpretation.
- Strong technical math skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Very good data entry and typing skills required; accuracy a must.
- Must be a self-starter, and be detail-oriented.
- Able to contribute in design reviews and improve job efficiencies.
- Proficient in the use of computerized office equipment and programs, including MS Office, MS Windows, and Adobe products.
- Possess valid driver's license
Personal Protective Equipment as required by job location.