Technical Writer II or III - Perm, Richardson
Posted on Sep 1, 2019 by ETC
TheTechnical Writer drives the proposal document by coordinating with Business Units to obtain quality and timely content. The Writer is the driving force behind gathering technical information from our SMEs, guiding SME contributors through an iterative content development and review process, and crafting RFP responses that transform dry technical information into effective sales documents. Job will require the ability to write technical and sales content, build relationships to influence others, meet tight and numerous deadlines, and prioritize frequently changing workload.
- Perform environmental analysis of customers and competitors through Internet research, participation in conferences and/or analysis of contract documentation
- Coordinate and establish response schedule; communicate milestones to internal teams; lead proposal schedule/process check-in meetings
- Collect, edit and compile technical documentation into response templates or established specifications
- Assist in the production and shipment of responses by established deadlines
- Train peers, SMEs and other members of cross-functional proposal team on document specifications and standards as it relates to proposal work
- Maintain proposal repository by archiving documents and retaining successful proposal artifacts
- Demonstrate regular and predictable attendance for assigned work hours
- Must be detail-oriented, analytical and able to utilize multiple research methods to accomplish goals
- Able to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments, work with little supervision and work effectively under pressure and tight/numerous deadlines
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization. Must be able to translate complex technical concepts into readable, coherent presentations and documents appropriate for non-technical audiences
- Must have excellent written communication skills, including the ability to edit style, grammar and punctuation
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, with the capability to build consensus and partnership. Able to understand and effectively navigate internal as well as industry political environment
- Above average to advanced knowledge/skills in standard MS Office suite required
This job operates in a professional office environment with moderate levels of noise. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Physical Demands (like bending, sitting, kneeling, lifting, driving etc.).
- Must be able to read information from a computer screen
- Must be able to sit or stand for periods up to 4 hours with occasional breaks
- Must be able to routinely and frequently lift and move objects up to 20 lbs. and occasionally lift and move objects up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to occasionally climb or balance foot stools/step ladders and occasionally bend/stoop or kneel to retrieve physical objects
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision to read manuals, computer screens and printed materials, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Position may require domestic travel up to 5%
Required Education and Experience
- 4-year college degree in Technical Writing, English or related field required
- 2-3 years of experience writing proposals and/or technical documentation required, with additional experience with proposal support, writing, editing, and/or communications preferred
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate technical aptitude and ability to synthesize technical information, in order to read and analyze RFPs and transform the expressed requirements into polished, compelling sales documents.
- Ability to develop outlines and ensure that proposals comply with customer requirements
- Ability to write, edit, and format technical documents with confidence
- Candidates should be proficient with MS Office products, esp. Word, PowerPoint, Visio and Excel, as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Preferred experience with MS Project, SharePoint
- Preferred experience with graphic design applications
- Preferred experience with transportation technology solutions and systems; preference given to those with Tolling or ITS industry experience
- Preferred experience developing RFP responses for government customers desired
- Preferred experience working and delivering to the SDLC process