Scientific Software Developer
Posted on Aug 29, 2019 by Experis AG
Scientific Software Developer
Experis IT is Europe's leading IT recruitment agency. We are dedicated to connecting talented individuals with Business opportunities across several professional sectors, with IT being at the heart of our operations.
One of our clients, an educational facility, is looking for a Scientific Software Developer for a permanent position based in Basel, Switzerland.
You will be working in a department that is the centre for scientific computing at our client and is one of the technological platforms of SIB - Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. The main mission of the department is to support scientists at our client's headquarters and other associated institutes in research domains with high computational demands. Current projects range from life sciences and medicine to physics, chemistry, economy and humanities.
They also operate the IT infrastructure behind several important web-accessible scientific services used by researchers worldwide like the SWISS-MODEL server, SwissRegulon and ISMARA. Finally, as one of the infrastructure nodes of a national network coordinated by SIB, they support biomedical-research projects, such as the Swiss Personalized Health Network (SPHN).
In order to consolidate its team, our client is looking for a scientific software developer with experience in Web technologies to collaborate with researchers to develop scientific applications.
Your tasks & responsibilities
We are looking for a candidate with excellent collaborative skills and experience working in an academic environment. The scientific software developer will work closely in collaboration with researchers to design, implement, and maintain new and existing scientific applications. In particular, we expect the candidate to be proficient in developing web-based services. The scientific software developer will also be responsible to maintain and further develop the website of the facility, which includes a series of interactive services for users.
What you must have
- Masters in computer sciences, computational life sciences, bioinformatics or equivalent
- Advanced proficiency in the Python programming language
- Strong experience of work in Linux environment
- Experience in Back End and Front End applications development
- Experience in Python Back End frameworks (eg Django, Flask)
- Experience in developing RESTful APIs
- Experience in SQL databases, familiarity with NoSQL databases is a plus
- Experience with version control systems (Git)
- Ability to work well on a team and to collaborate and communicate effectively with the target users during the entire software development process
- Capability to multi-task with accuracy and reliability and a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Experience working in an academic/scientific environment
- Fluent in English
Nice to Haves
- Previous experience in development of production quality software
- Experience in Continuous Integration/Continuous Development
- Experience in automated code testing
- Experience in containers (Docker, Docker-compose, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with agile software development
- Start date: ASAP
- Work location: Basel
- Workload: 100%
Interested in this opportunity? Kindly send us your CV today through the link in the advert. However, should you have any questions please contact Alexander Russell.