Principal Software Engineer - Big Data
Posted on Aug 25, 2019 by MetLife
Job Location: United States : North Carolina : Cary
Role Value Proposition:
Global Data & Analytics organization is the team of expert technologists responsible for building big data platforms and data services with innovative technologies to enable MetLife businesses to generate insights, and value to its customers. This team plays a central role in Design, Build & Integration of all emerging technologies and cutting-edge products across MetLife Data Hub and Enterprise Data Management Systems.
The Principal Software Engineer, serves as bigdata development expert within the Emerging Platforms Organization of Global Data & Analytics. This position has the responsibility to define and implement enterprise technology strategy for products and solutions deployed on Big Data & Cloud platforms of MetLife Data Hub, traditional RDBMS and data warehouses. The resource will develop roadmaps, develop, best practices, and design standards. The ideal candidate will champion multiple project designs, solution, and development.
- Setup Bigdata development strategies, and best practices to ingest large volumes of data with minutes sla. Develop core product strategy by standardizing tools and components, such that global adoption of common products can result into overall cost effectiveness of the platforms. Establish platform governance via data-flow-diagrams, and system-design reviews for all new initiatives and existing programs.
- Setting up standards and best practices for advance emerging platform features for artificial intelligence, machine learning, advance analytics, cloud data warehousing, and metadata management. Define processes to evaluate tools and vendors with rationalization across data and analytics, and drive consistency.
- Educate senior leadership with platform book of work for ongoing feedback, business alignment, building alliances and delivery.
- Lead global communication across various lines of businesses and technology partners to constantly monitor, collect, review, and roadmap business requirements, and related technology solutions.
- Serves as an escalation point for development issues and platform tooling decisions which span across multiple lines of businesses. Partner across organizations within data and analytics, engineering, architecture, and operations in developing frameworks strategy for all steps of data lifecycle from data acquisition to data delivery.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Experience with Big Data (Hortonworks/Cloudera/BigInsights distributions) and Cloud (Azure) eco-systems, in developing, designing, and/or operating application development platforms with strong knowledge of end-to-end data lifecycles across traditional data warehouses, relational databases, Business Intelligence reporting, and big data analytics.
- Strong Experience in Spark scala, HBase, Hive, SOLR, and Graph (Titan or Janus) with Gremlin as well as strong experience in dealing Real Time streaming technologies using Storm or Flume, and Kafka.
- Experience with dealing with newer/less matured technologies, proof-of-concepts, driving pilots, and product evaluations and Experience developing, and/or operating very complex and highly integrated system designs, with near-real time data processing, and sub-seconds SLA.
- Experience in SparkBeyond, Mahout, SparkML, or H2O.
- 10+ years of experience in relevant technologies.
- Knowledge of extended technology products and components for Big Data (Flink, Tez/Impala, and similar), Databricks, SparkBeyond, Mahout, SparkML and Cloud (Azure HDInsight, Data Lakes, and similar).
- Experience working with various vendors, building tier-1 partnerships, establishing user forums, trainings, and roadmap sessions for the global technology community.
- Strong communication skills to lead interactions with business and technology leaders across the global lines of businesses.
- Minimum bachelor degree required, master degree preferred.
At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 110767