Principal Software Engineer - 7 years exp
Posted on Aug 25, 2019 by Job Trim
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will provide technical leadership for software and firmware development. The primary role for this position is writing the low level Embedded software interfacing with electronics. As part of this role, you will also coordinate technical discussions and problem solving for software projects and collaborate with the platform and system architects on the impacts of design decisions. You will coach other engineers on best practices and new technologies and review designs and architectures of the development team. You will be a key interface between the software team and other software teams and functions including participating in change control and risk analysis activities as part of the software quality process.
Key Technical Competencies:
- Expert in software engineering best practices for Embedded software development.
- Developing systems using Bluetooth Low Energy communication protocols.
- Writing software making use of different BLE stacks.
- Interpret, understand and provide feedback on software requirements for a project. Perform requirement analysis
to determine completeness and compliance with software system. Ability to work with requirement management tools.
- Pursues industry best practices and technology trends. Collaborates with industry thought leaders. Recognized as the organization's leader in applying new technology. Provides vision and assures the organization is an early adopter of industry innovations.
- Recognized as a technical leader of software development methods for safety critical, fault tolerant Real Time software, and current Embedded system technologies.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned:
- Designs, develops, tests, debugs and implements operating systems components, software tools and utilities.
- Determines systems software design requirements.
- Ensures that system improvements are successfully implemented and monitored to increase efficiency.
- Generates systems software engineering policies, standards and procedures.
Key Leadership Competencies
- Coaches others on how work groups relate/interact and how their work contributes to our client's products.
- Role models adapting work process to accommodate change and ensure productivity during times of change.
- Sets meaningful personal goals and helps others prioritize short-term activities around work team/functional priorities.
- Identifies the root cause of complex problems and solves them by determining the most appropriate procedure to implement.
- Demonstrates accountability for one's own decisions, and is able to articulate rationale without being defensive. Able to view mistakes as learning opportunity and supports an environment of continuous improvement.
- Effectively solicits and shares complex information within and across work teams, stating own point of view even
when difficult or unpopular; listens effectively.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related Engineering or Sciences field
Years of Experience.
- 7+ years of progressive Embedded systems engineering experience in product development with a Bachelor's degree or 5+ years of progressive Embedded systems engineering experience in product development with a Master's degree.
Specialized Knowledge or Skills Required:
- Experience in C
- Embedded systems development experience
- 2+ years of experience with Bluetooth Low Energy
- Master of Science degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related Engineering field
- Experience in medical software development process such as IEC 62304 or other regulated software development
- Strong debugging and problem-solving skills.
- Experience developing and characterizing RF devices
Physical Job Requirements:
Able to lift 25 pounds, able to endure extended periods of time doing computer-based work, as well as be independently mobile.