Graduate Copy-editor/Editorial Project Manager
Posted on Aug 23, 2019 by STEM Graduates into Business
Sunrise Setting has been providing pre-press services to publishers, non-publishing organisations and individual authors for over 40 years.
They are seeking a recent graduate from a science or math background to join their small team to work on tasks including project management, typesetting, copy-editing, proofreading and indexing of books, journals, web material, and conference proceedings. Working in the publishing field can be pressurised as accuracy needs to be maintained whilst working to tight deadlines. However, at Sunrise, with our small dedicated team, we hope that our flexible approach, team working and general ethos help to make this an enjoyable career. No two days are ever alike, as staff work on a variety of customer projects and material.
This is a great opportunity for a recent graduate who wishes to use their scientific knowledge in an alternative career and who enjoys reading scientific literature.
Main duties will be to manage journal and book production workflow, ensuring editorial quality standards, deadlines and budgets are maintained to include:
- checking of work into production
- liaison with freelance suppliers, such as copy-editors, proofreaders, indexers, and typesetters, throughout the production cycle
- liaison with authors
- collation of corrections
- checking of paginated proofs at various stages
- journal issue make-up
- to liaise with customers as necessary, via e-mail and telephone
- to copy-edit as required
- Degree level or equivalent with an interest in science/maths
- Good English writing and grammar skills
- Good IT skills, particularly in Microsoft Office, use of ftp/e-mail and Adobe Acrobat
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to work on own initiative
- Copy-editing experience would be an advantage but full training will be given
- Knowledge of typesetting systems such as Word or LaTeX with experience of page layout, but again training will be given
- Methodical and accurate worker
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Team player
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility to help out as required as needed in a small business
Finally, working within Brixham Lab with the sea view out of the office window is a definite bonus.
To make an application send a covering letter and CV to the STEM Graduates into Business team by clicking APPLY NOW.
Help with applying can be found in the Careers Advice section here on Gradsouthwest, by contacting your university or colleges careers department or from the Stem Grads team by emailing
STEM Graduates into Business is an European Regional Development Funded project delivered by the University of Plymouth Careers Service. Its aim is to increasing the number of paid internships available to recent graduates with small and medium sized enterprises based in Devon. Funded until spring 2021, the project should produce 80 internships with 80 separate employers across the county.
By providing support and funding to the SMEs, it is hoped that a cohort of graduate employing SMEs will be created which will continue to employ graduates beyond the life of the project.