Principal/Senior Building Services Engineer (Electrical)
Role Reference: ENG03 (Please note - applications that do not cite the job reference in the subject line may not be viewed).
This role can be based from either Bristol or London
Remuneration range: Competitive
Summary of role: Anthesis is global sustainability and solutions consultancy offering services to clients in many different business sectors. The engineering team within Anthesis supports the rest of the business and their clients with engineering knowledge and consultancy, and in designing and seeing through the delivery of services projects.
After a very successful start to the year, we have major project work developing carbon and energy reduction programmes for a wide range of clients including large international businesses up to design and implementation of: -
- PV systems in the UK and overseas.
- Energy Centre and heat network strategy, design and implementation consultancy across the UK - including wider electrical and heating infrastructure and integrating CHP and heat pump systems into them.
- Lighting - LED lighting for a large local authority building and a multi-site LED roll-out project for a retailer.
- Heating - focusing on renewable heat for both commercial and local authority clients.
This is a wide-ranging, senior role undertaking a variety of technical engineering consulting projects, including housing developments, distributed heat networks and systems for commercial businesses. This covers energy demand and infrastructure analysis, low carbon energy strategies, and renewable energy generation. Key areas of the role will include design, project management, client management, developing new propositions, supporting construction and operations plus strategic input to the rapid growth of our established team.
- Undertake site electrical infrastructure surveys, tests, reports on existing Electrical systems performance and services installations.
- Electrical design, with particular focus on energy efficiency and electrical generation and storage.
- Take responsibility for the technical delivery of outline and detailed electrical (and ICA) design, preparing schedules, drawings and specifications and assisting with project delivery including support for the full project lifecycle, working closely with the projects and contracts team to provide installation and commissioning support
- Production of electrical schematics, preparation of construction drawings, LV/HV distribution system design and Instrumentation and equipment specification, switchgear sizing
- Be responsible for achieving appropriate quality standards including technical checking of work
- Acting as Client's Engineer or Client's Project Manager to ensure best value is obtained from contractors. Advising clients on options, risks and mitigation. Operating embedded within the client's office where required.
- Liaison with electrical supply authorities
- Peer review and authorisation of colleagues' work.
- Project management including the co-ordination of technical, commercial and procurement advice from internal and external associates. Delivering projects on time and on budget to high customer satisfaction
- Manage multiple client relationships, liaise with clients to determine their requirements, assist clients with on-going enquires.
- Manage relationships into key industry bodies such as CIBSE, ADE, BEIS, GLA and the REA
- Develop strategic partnerships with other companies and institutions that enhance the effectiveness of the work we deliver
- Achieving project profitability. Tracking costs, managing and forecasting spend, ensuring that work is kept to budget. Manage resources. Manage invoicing.
- Providing technical sales support to Sales colleagues ensuring proposals are correctly scoped and priced.
- Support the development of new propositions, identifying market needs and subsequent opportunities. Spotting innovations and making the business case for pursuing them.
- Supporting the development of IP and systems that enhance the quality and efficiency of our client work
- With anticipated growth, the role has the potential to develop to leading a team of electrical engineers and responsibility in mentoring less experienced staff.
Relevant experience required:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in a similar client-facing role in the energy and wider building services/energy efficiency industry.
- Experience of working in decentralised energy/district heating.
- Have experience of delivering H&S by design, compliance to CDM regulations, Ex standard, ATEX compliance
- Expertise in generation technologies and renewable or low carbon heat/power sources including PV, batteries, CHP, BMS and controls.
- Able to design the range of building electrical services, particularly power distribution (including cable sizing and protection studies) and lighting systems.
- Knowledge of building services within commercial and public sector operations
- Knowledge of current Building Regulations and understanding the UK IET regulations (BS7671)
- Monitoring of installation works on site, particularly meeting technical compliance and Site H&S matters including CDM2015.
- Strong technical skills including applying engineering first principles.
- Client and stakeholder management (internal and external), interpersonal and communication skills, managing clients expectations, promoting excellent working relationships.
- Negotiation and persuasion to support Sales colleagues through both account management and successful tender submissions.
- Project management techniques to deliver technical, multi-stakeholder projects on time and on budget.
- Industry standard design and calculation software e.g. AutoCAD, Amtech, HevaComp, Dialux
- Advance excel skills. spreadsheet manipulation, complex calculations and production of graphics.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office suite
- Good level of commercial awareness
Qualifications/education level required:
- Degree in appropriate Electrical engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer or to be proactively working towards chartered status with a relevant body.
Desirable experience, knowledge, skills, qualifications:
- Instrumentation Control and Automation (ICA) Engineering
- Managing third party contractors.
- Microsoft Project Experience
- Knowledge of HV systems (RMU's, transformers, generation)
- As the role includes travel, visiting clients across the UK and on occasions overseas, and keeping in contact with internationally based clients there is a requirement to be flexible around hours of working.
- Full UK driving licence
Anthesis is an equal opportunity employer. The aim of our policy is to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
To apply please submit your resume and a cover letter as attachments by email along with your current salary expectations, citing ENG03 in the subject of the email, to . Applications that do not cite the job reference in the subject may not be viewed. Applications must address the above listed skills and experience requirements.