Posted on Aug 19, 2019 by City of Council Bluffs
City of Council Bluffs
Salary Range: $53,004.66 - $79,039.15; excellent benefits.
Candidates must attend the physical agility exam and written exam held on October 5, 2019. Applicants must be 21 years old on or before October 5, 2019, to test. A $20 cash testing fee is due at the time of the physical agility exam. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Department: Police Department
Supervisor: Police Captain
Location: Police Station
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Summary: The work of this class involves responsibility for the protection of life and property, prevention of crime, apprehension of criminals and the general enforcement of laws and ordinates in a designated area or an assigned shift or on special assignments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: includes the following.
- Patrols city streets for crime suppression and provides public service.
- Provides inspection services through patrol activities.
- Provides contact with the public during routine patrol engagement.
- Handles various types of incidents coming to his/her attention either as a called for service or request from the public while on patrol.
- Provides traffic supervision as called for service or comes to his/her attention while on patrol.
- Conducts criminal investigations for case clearance and/or solution.
- Collects, handles, stores, preserves, & examines evidence of all types.
- Participates in the training program of the department.
- Engages in Community Relations activities.
- Prepares official police documents.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- United States Citizen
- Must be age 21 by the test date
- Must be able to obtain a Driver's License from state of residence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and see, talk, and hear.
- Must meet minimum standards as required by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy and MFPRSI (Municipal Fire and Police Retirement System).
- Must have the ability to work both in and out of doors in all weather conditions, in high stress environment, and for long periods of time.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable working knowledge of the common laws covering traffic and general behavior
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations
- Ability to develop skill in the use and care of firearms and other weapons
- Must not be by reason of conscience or belief opposed to the use of force, when necessary to fulfill his or her duties
- Ability to drive a vehicle safely and efficiently
- Must not be addicted to drugs or alcohol
- Must be able to successfully pass a physical ability/agility test
- Must be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted by local, state, and national fingerprint files and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.