Posted on Aug 17, 2019 by Alaska Housing Finance Corp
Job Position Summary: This is routine work in performing a variety of cleaning, minor maintenance, and custodial tasks in and around a public building.
Work involves responsibility for cleaning and maintaining offices, housing units, stairs, community areas and adjacent grounds and related work according to prescribed routine. Work may include minor maintenance tasks and related special assignments in accordance with requirements. Work may involve responsibility for custodial care with little direct supervision, although work is subject to inspection while in progress or upon completion.
Supervision Received and Exercised: Non-exempt, non-supervisory, union position.
Examples of Duties
- Keep restrooms clean by sweeping, scrubbing and waxing floors; disinfects and deodorizes lavatories, urinals and toilet bowls; washes sinks, mirrors and fountains; maintain in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Performs routine custodial and janitorial tasks such as: emptying waste containers; washing windows; cleaning appliances (stoves, refrigerators and laundry equipment), emptying trash compactors; lifting containers and carrying them out of buildings; sweeping, dusting, mopping, stripping, waxing and buffing floors; vacuuming and shampooing rugs and carpets; assisting tenants in moving furniture and similar tasks; changing light bulbs; and replenishing supplies.
- Performs minor building/grounds maintenance such as: removing snow and ice, spreading ice melt and/or sand, replacing locks, oiling or lubricating hinges, adjusting various pieces of cleaning equipment.
- Perform moderately heavy manual labor, in or out of doors, including lifting heavy objects with strength and agility, work under adverse weather conditions, if necessary, such as heat, cold and around mechanical equipment, tools and with soul.
- Performs a number of routine security functions, such as: checking to make sure that designated offices and buildings are secured at specific times of the day or night.
- May be assigned Master keys for assigned location.
- Required to read and follow AHFC Key/Card Receipt form.
- Notify supervisor immediately of the loss of any key.
- Be available by telephone for emergency overtime and after-hours service calls, when assigned.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: Methods, practices, equipment and material used in custodial maintenance work. Proper use if a variety of special cleaning and sanitizing solutions and solvents.
Skills and Abilities: operation of equipment peculiar to custodial and maintenance work, including lawn care and snow removal equipment.
Ability to: Work harmoniously with other maintenance employees, tenants, the public and property management staff. Understand and follow written and oral instructions and to perform routine operations involved in simple custodial duties without close supervision. Make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment. Perform a variety of routine custodial tasks relating to moving heavy furniture, supplies and equipment and the care and maintenance of the buildings, grounds and equipment with necessary strength and agility.
Be available by telephone for emergency overtime and after-hours service calls, when assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent. One-year experience or training in apartment/custodial related work or tasks.
- Physical demands: lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds repeatedly during an 8 hour workday.
- At least six months of data processing and Microsoft office related computer experience.
- Provide valid Alaska driver's license and show proof of driving record in good standing from DMV when requested.
All external applicants tentatively selected for this position shall be required to submit to urinalysis and breath alcohol testing to screen for illegal drug/alcohol use and complete a pre-employment physical prior to appointment.
AHFC provides employment opportunities to low and very-low income persons, in compliance with Section 3 of the HUD Act of 1968. Public Housing Residents are encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer