Posted on Aug 17, 2019 by City of Yakima
City of Yakima
City Engineer $8,508.93 - $10,334.13 Monthly
The City of Yakima seeks a professional Civil Engineer with extensive project and personnel management experience.
Exercising considerable independence under the general supervision and direction of the Director of Public Works, this is a division management position responsible for the management and administrative work of the Engineering Division by planning, organizing, directing and supporting the work of the division staff. Requires considerable contact with a wide range of groups involved in the maintenance, design, construction, repair and operation of necessary municipal public works for the safety and convenience of the citizenry. Duties include the responsibility and oversight of the operational functions within the division effectively accomplishing City goals and objectives. Supervision is exercised over a staff of professional, operational, technical and/or clerical personnel.
- Plans, directs, and evaluates design, construction, and maintenance of public facilities and improvements, including those completed by City personnel and those assigned to outside consultants or contractors; Develops annual work program objectives; assigns planning projects and evaluates performance of division personnel.
- Serves as administrator of the Engineering Division with responsibility for maintenance of public records; preparation of the division budget; and employee performance.
- Directs City staff and consultants in technical engineering design, supervision and other services for construction and transportation improvement projects, water and sewer improvements and other City projects.
- Provides technical engineering services and input as an integral information source supporting public and private development for short and long term community and economic development plans and strategies.
- Coordinates Engineering Division functions supporting several City departments and divisions to ensure unified progress towards City objectives.
- Supervises and participates in the work of the division, providing guidance and direction to subordinate staff. Oversees and reviews the work of division; hires, trains, and develops staff providing professional leadership and ongoing development opportunities to staff; evaluates individual performance including taking or recommending disciplinary action as necessary. Provides assistance to staff in resolving difficult or unusual situations and problems. Responsible for performance of subordinates; ensures compliance with all applicable laws, State and Federal regulations, City ordinances, policies, procedures and sound financial practices.
- Prepares annual operating budget for the Division and controls/monitors expenses within budget adopted by City Council. Presents budget to City Council for approval and community groups for educational purposes. Develops an annual City Capital Improvement Plan, and develops scheduling, budgeting and financing techniques for all City capital improvement projects.
- Analyzes operational data, researches and prepares a wide variety of reports, costs estimates and feasibility studies regarding complex issues having a long-range and significant impact on the total municipal operation. Prepares reports of project and program progress and presents reports to the City Manager, City Council and/or advisory committees as necessary.
- Coordinates Federal and State grant application processes for public works programs, and administers grant projects according to applicable regulations and grant guidelines.
- Serves as staff representative and liaison with government agencies, City officials, professional organizations, consulting engineers, and the public to provide continuing community involvement and input. Attends City Council sessions, and upon request, participates in meetings and conferences with other City boards, commissions, committees, administrative officers, and staff personnel.
- Coordinates divisional activities with other City departments. Maintains quality customer service relationships with citizens and community and professional groups impacted by, or in contact with, departmental projects, actions, or personnel.
- Contributes to the effective administration of City government by fostering an attitude among staff that encourages cooperation and coordination of efforts and efficient use of resources. Provides continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
- Performs related work as required.
- Requires regular and reliable attendance.