Senior Monitoring Operations Advisor
Posted on Aug 16, 2019 by Michael Bailey Associates - Amsterdam
Sr Monitoring Operations Advisor
The Global Monitoring Operations (GMO) team in LOI Core Operations uses monitoring tools and staff with diagnostic, troubleshooting and data analytics skills to minimize operational impact of IT issues and identify/mitigate operational risk. GMO works very closely with the Global Command Center as they coordinate and manage incident response for high priority incidents impacting Business Critical applications and services. The team-lead role in GMO will focus on leading a group of Shell staff and contractors who serve as L2 monitoring/troubleshooting analysts (reactive) and operational hunters (proactive). The "hunt" function is new in GMO and focuses on proactively looking for and finding operational risk that could translate into operational impact if the risk is realized. In addition, this role will work closely with Global Command Center (GCC) manager to ensure that L1 monitoring analysts based in Bangalore are integrated into the operation monitor process. Functional leadership for L1 monitoring analysts sits with the Senior Monitoring Operations Manager while operational leadership is handled by the GCC manager.
IT Operational troubleshooting and diagnostic experience is essential to this role since the successful candidate will be leading a team of senior IT operational staff/contractors. They should also have a working knowledge of networks, hosting platforms (on prem and cloud) and security solutions and general IT services. Experience in process development and execution will be an added benefit as the "hunt" function is new to GMO and work will be needed to build on the relatively new foundation that has been implemented. This role will represent the team inside LOI and beyond, so senior stakeholder management (both written and verbal) is essential.
The Senior Monitoring Operations Advisor leads the Operations function in Global Monitoring Operations. This function focuses on using the diagnostic, troubleshooting and reporting tools of GMO to resolve operational issues (reactive) as fast as possible and also identify risk and fix problems before they occur (proactive). They will work closely with the cross-functional teams in the Global Command Center (GCC) situated in regional ops centers. The Senior Monitoring Ops Advisor is accountable to lead and manage operational response activities by the Monitoring Ops team. The Senior Monitoring Ops Advisor will also own and improve the processes used by the team for both reactive and proactive incident response. As needed, they will engage in direct supporting GCC resources for high profile operational events. They will work closely with the Tooling team lead in GMO to provide input and feedback on improvements that can be made to utilize and tune tooling to help the L1/L2 monitoring analysts be more effective.
- Oversees completion of day to day L2 Monitoring Analyst activities including assigning hunt activities and reviewing hunt backlog, active engagement and support of hunt activities, participation in hunts and review of recommendations from hunts.
- Ensures L1 Monitoring Analysts are properly trained and using monitoring tools to identify and escalate incidents for action and review by L2 Monitoring Analyst
- Manage and balance operational response and hunt activities with system support actions that the L2/Hunt teams need to cover
- Contribute to defining tooling measurement thresholds and alerting processes flows.
- Have basic proficiency in the use of all the major tools. This will help when the analysts are discussing output from the tools
- Produces and reviews monthly metrics reporting on,hunts, alerts, responses, saves; takes action to drive improvements where needed
- Works with key staff in each Regional Operations Centre to ensure operational issues are being monitored and actioned; intervenes where necessary to improve process and/or response
- Coordinates resources to support major incident response activities with regional operations center managers.
- Member of a team that provides rapid response to major IT incidents, delivering tactical solutions for high visibility issues to enable targeted business outcomes
- Ensures new "knowledge" is captured and shared with L1/L2 Monitoring team and other relevant stakeholders in order to improve overall team response
- Serves as a point of escalation for L1/L2 Monitoring Analysts regarding questions about their monitoring activities
- Oversee updates to documentation created/updated by the GMO Ops team
- Tracks CapEx and OpEx spend for Global Monitoring Operations
- Ensure effective integration and partnership with the L1 Monitoring Analysts in the GCC
- Out-of-office working hours are possible when managing high impact operational issues (holidays, weekends, evenings, etc.)
- Typical Years of Experience: 7 to 10 years in IT with formal or informal IT leadership experience
- Minimum Education or Certification: 4-year Degree related to IT or engineering
Skills & Requirements:
- Operational experience troubleshooting IT infrastructure and application services
- Familiarity with IT troubleshooting, monitoring and diagnostic tooling.
- Record of effective engagement with senior IT stakeholder dealing with and communicating across operational lines of responsibility
- Team lead experience either formal or informal
- Effective working partnership with IT service providers in resolving operational problems
- Experience with process design and implementation (to help mature Hunt Function)
- A "run to the fire" attitude that can accommodate operation issues with a bias for action and ability to quickly make decisions with partial information
- Ability to work effectively across time zone, culture, and organization boundary to do whatever is needed to resolve operational issues
- Commitment to "make things better" to improve the GMO Ops function and deliver broader operational impact.
- Prefer candidate with current or lapsed technical certification focused on cloud, hosting, or networking
- Extensive knowledge of Business Critical landscapes and services.
- In depth knowledge or experience with MI processes and integration with monitoring
Michael Bailey International is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.