Full Stack Engineer - Core Product Data
Posted on Aug 15, 2019 by ARGOS
We are looking for an enthusiastic full stack engineer (or back-end engineer with front-end capability) to deliver and further our core product data platform. This platform stores and manages core data for products that we sell across Argos and Sainsburys, powering our website and stores. This data enables customers to search, browse and buy our products, and provides all of the operational functions across our group the data that they need about our products - the quality, availability and accuracy of this data is therefore critical.
Teams at Argos are empowered to choose the best frameworks and software stacks to make themselves effective and efficient. We take responsibility for the design, delivery and support of our software which affects our customers directly and ultimately our reputation and brand. This gives our multi-disciplinary team the opportunity to make big changes and solve big challenges to benefit our customers and our platform.
Typical Technologies in our stack for this role:
Challenges we're excited about tackling:
· Making it easy for our colleagues to provide and maintain high quality data, using machine-based methods to automate this
· Providing that data in a real-time way to other teams and services
· Replacing our legacy batch-driven data backend
· Making it easy for our customer-facing engineering teams to work with product data
We are looking for people with:
· Experience of Java application development, using Maven, Spring and Git in particular (Java 8 and up)
· Working familiarity with and preference for modern software design patterns
· Developing high quality software through automated unit & integration testing
· Pragmatic & able to promote positive change in technology and processes
· Frontend development experience
· NoSQL backends, particularly MongoDB.
· Containerised build and deploy using Docker
Flexible approach to working hours, including ability to work from home when required. Smart, recently refurbished office. Casual dress-code. Good social environment, friendly, supportive colleagues. Close to station and all shopping and leisure amenities in central Milton Keynes.
Generous performance-related Bonus scheme. Excellent pension. Sainsbury's Group discounts (Sainsburys/Argos/Habitat). Technical or managerial paths of progression. Sharesave Scheme. Share Purchase Plan. Childcare Vouchers. Season ticket loan. Ability to purchase up to 5 extra days holiday per year. Very competitive salary.
We know that candidates may be put off applying for a job unless they can tick every box. We also know that 'normal' office hours aren't always doable, and while we can't accommodate every flexible working request we are happy to be asked. So if you are excited about working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren't sure if you are 100% there yet… why not apply and see how it goes?
Here at Sainsbury's Argos we're a proud equal opportunities employer that values diversity at every level of our business. Inclusion and Diversity are fundamental to our culture and values, fostering an innovative, collaborative and fast paced work environment that means we can build a better future for our colleagues and our customers. Everyone is welcome at Sainsbury's Argos. Want to find out more? Then visit our Diversity & Inclusion page on our Careers site -