Internship Advanced Technology/Kansei: Industrial designer/engineer
Posted on Aug 15, 2019 by Toyota Motor Europe
TOYOTA is one of the world's largest automobile manufacturers and a leading global corporation. Founded in 1937. Toyota now sells vehicles in 170 countries and employs over 300.000 people.
Based in Brussels, Belgium, and staffed by 2.700 people and more than 60 nationalities, Toyota Motor Europe (TME) handles the wholesale marketing of Toyota and Lexus vehicles, parts & accessories, and manages Toyota's European R&D, manufacturing and engineering operations.
For Toyota, Quality is a way of life. Nothing is so good that it cannot be made better, that is why we strive for continuous improvement in everything we do. This basic principle for us is called: "KAIZEN" and is what guides us in our pursuit of best Quality and the delivery of unparalleled customer's satisfaction.
• Master Student in Engineering or Design, 5th year or Master Program Competency in human perception, human factors, cognitive science …
• Open mind set & creative capabilities
• Good level in graphic design (2D digital renderings with good capability in Adobe CS5, Illustrator…)
• Fluent English, written & oral
• Good communication skills & team spirit
• Reporting to AT-Kansei/ Senior Specialist
You have a Toyota DNA, this means you:
• Wish to develop and are ready to persevere in order to reach challenging targets
• Seek facts before making recommendations or decisions
• Have strong planning and organizing skills
• Enjoy working in a team, respecting others
• Have excellent communication skills
• Customer mindset
Advanced Technology - Kansei Department is a cross-functional Department at TME Technical Centre.
Supported by multi-expertise in the field of human perception, and interacting with Researchers, its role goes from Research application to Human centered innovation, supported by internal collaboration as well as partnerships with Schools/ Labs and Experts.
AT- Kansei's focus is improving the experience (subjective perception, emotions, engagement) that users have with new mobility and future products. It is doing so through research projects involving activities related to "understanding" (e.g. user research, desk research), "proposing" (e.g. interaction, service design) and "testing" (e.g. quantitative and qualitative assessment).
Fully integrated in TME-Kansei's team, you will be involved in several exploratory concept projects. Your role will be to highlight and exemplify new user experience opportunities. These researches will use as starting point leading edge technologies, societal evolutions or specific user feeling targets and will be conducted in close collaboration with advanced engineering divisions.
The activity may include: You are expected to be involved in 3 main design activities:
• Understand: A literature review > gather and organised insights from related fields.
• Create & Build: multi-sensory concepts based on hypotheses initially generated using user-centred techniques.
• Communicate: Using approaches such as narration or prototyping, create material able to communicate user experience intentions and their potential.
Place of employment: Toyota Motor Europe (Zaventem-Belgium)
• R&D -Technical Centre
• AT- Kansei Department
Starting date: Jan 2020
Duration: 6 months
Confidentiality: Due to business requirement, not all performed projects can be reflected in the internship report. This issue needs to be discussed with candidate/school in advance.
It is mandatory that applicants are students for the entire period of the internship. We can only accept students with an EEA or Swiss citizenship (not requiring a work permit or visa to be eligible to perform an internship in Belgium).