Posted on Aug 14, 2019 by CV-Library
When registering to this job board you will be redirected to the online application form. Please ensure that this is completed in full in order that your application can be reviewed.
Data Scientist - Operational Research
Close date: 15/09/2019
Salary: £30,000 - £50,000 (depending on the experience and skill set)
Are you a Data Scientist experienced in and passionate about Operational Research, Optimisation, computational intelligence, and big data analytics? Looking for an opportunity where you will be supported with your continuous professional and personal development? Yes? We'd love to hear from you.
What do we do? Microlise is one of Europe's largest telematics and transport management solutions providers with the HQ in Nottingham, Our mission is to empower our customers such as Tesco, Sainsbury's, DHL, ASDA, Waitrose, Co-op, Eddie Stobart, Royal mail, MAN, DAF, TATA to reduce their costs and environmental impact by maximising the efficiency of their transportation operations. We achieve this with our great employees who continue to develop and deploy innovative, industry-leading technology solutions and services that enable our customers to optimise fleet utilisation and driver performance, to reduce costs and to improve service delivery.
The Data Science and Research team which consists of four PhD-level Data Scientists, a Junior Data Scientist and a senior Research Programmer collaborate with a number of universities on various R&D projects and MSc/PhD research studies as well as work on a great variety of collaborative R&D projects with partners and customers globally in the area of Operational Research, Predictive modelling, Analytics, and Artificial Intelligence.
As part of the on-going expansion of our Data Science and Research team, Microlise, a leading Transport Management Solutions Provider, are looking to appoint a Data Scientist - Operational Research.
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
* Applying operational research, combinatorial optimisation, computational/artificial intelligence and big data analytics techniques
* Designing and implementing Local Search, Heuristics and Meta-Heuristics algorithms
* Performing exploratory, experimental, analytical and visualisation works
* Complete the analysis, design and build of data models, propensity models, analytical models and business and personal insights
* Preparing technical and scientific reports, presentations and patent applications
* Framing business problems into questions that can be answered through data analysis, and translating business needs into requirements that can be understood by technical teams.
- PhD degree (or close to completion) in Operational Research, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or a related discipline.
- 1+ year of experience in operational research, combinatorial optimisation or computational intelligence
- Good knowledge of operational research, combinational optimisation, heuristics/meta-heuristics and mathematical modelling
- Experience of designing and developing optimisation, local search heuristics and meta-heuristics algorithms
- Proven knowledge of at least one object-oriented programming language
- Strong reporting and communication skills whilst working on a number of tasks on a variety of different projects at the same time.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to change direction quickly based on data analysis
- Enjoying discovering and solving problems
- Build collaborative partnerships with data scientists, data architects, technical leads, product managers and key individuals within other functional organizations.
- Being able to work independently
- Be adaptable and flexible to respond to the changing needs of a dynamic business
- Embrace challenge and be passionate about solving hard problems
- Collaborate effectively in interdisciplinary teams
* 2+ years of experience in operational research, combinatorial optimisation, computational intelligence, research computing or data science
* Experience in working on vehicle routing and scheduling algorithms
* Proven knowledge in C#
* knowledge of analytical tools such as R
* knowledge of data visualisation tools such as Tableau and Power BI
* Knowledge of vehicle telematics systems and transport logistics
* Support be will provided to attend and present at national/international conferences and workshop in your research area
* We believe in our culture, values and staff successes
* We believe in developing our staff and support our employees with their professional development goals.
* 24 days holiday excluding bank holidays, increasing by 1 a year to 29 days
* Excellent pension scheme with a minimum 6% contribution
* Free parking, tea, coffee and daily fruit
* Vitality Health Insurance, Employee Assistance Programme and subsidised eye tests and glasses
* Local discounts
* Great staff extras: Easter eggs, yearly BBQ, Christmas gifts and annual staff awards!
* Free tickets to the British Superbikes, come and support Microlise Cresswell racing and the team!
Were doing great things, come and be part of our success!
* 2019 – The Queens Award for Enterprise: Innovation, Sunday Times HSBC
* International Track 200 league table
* 2018 – The Queens Award for Enterprise: International Trade, Top 20 in the BDO growth barometer – Nottinghamshire, and an IIP employer
* 2017 - Top 200 company in Nottingham, top 50 in the Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200 league table, Sunday Times top 100 Profit Track, Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year finals,
* 2016 - Megabuyte Top 50
Interested in the role? Great, we look forward to your application!
Just to let you know, telephone interviews will take place while the advert is still live, face to face interviews will take place in September.
This role is eligible for a Certificate of Sponsorship for a UK Visa and meets the resident labour market test.
Microlise roles are not open to recruitment agencies, please do not contact us about vacancies or send speculative CV's as they won't be accepted.
Starting date: Late September / Early October 2019
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£600 - £650 Daily
£45k - £50k Annual
£400 - £500 Daily
£1 - £1 Annual
£400 - £500 Annual
£600 - £700 Daily
£361 - £406 Daily
£500 - £600 Daily
£75k - £100k Annual