Systems Engineer - Linux
Posted on Aug 14, 2019 by Laureate Education
The ideal candidate for this position will have excellent communication skills and work well in a fast-paced, growing environment. The candidate must be able to support and maintain systems in an enterprise environment. This individual will be someone who can take direction from senior management, but also seek opportunities to improve and stabilize the environment, and implement efficiencies in daily processes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities will include participation in an \"on call\" rotation and after-hours availability. Responsibilities include enforcing the IT Operations server standards, policies and procedures, setting up and maintaining user accounts and managing access control.
- Responsible for managing Laureate s Oracle Enterprise Linux environment (RHEL)
- Create and maintain documentation on Linux server builds, policies and procedures, ensuring they are accurate and current.
- Responsible for installation of Linux in cloud and virtualized environments, including scripted installation as well as Bare-Metal builds ensuring team standards are maintained.
- Responsible for the implementation of security controls in order to ensure a secure environment
- Responsible for maintaining and provisioning user accounts utilizing Centrify Server suite.
- Monitoring of all Linux servers within Laureate s enterprise
- Provide guidance on best practices for server configuration, patching and system management
- Provide guidance and insight into the hardening of all Linux servers within the environment
- Assist the Manager of Platform Operations in ensuring all project related work is performed according to specified timelines and scope ensuring successful outcomes
- Management of the Cisco UCS environment.
- Management of Laureate s VMware infrastructure to include installation of ESXi servers.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 7+ years of experience required in the Information Technology field
- At least 5 years of experience maintaining RHEL Servers
- At least 5 years of experience maintaining a mission critical enterprise systems
- Must possess an understanding of network storage concepts and solutions (SAN and NAS devices, S3 buckets, etc.).
- Advanced knowledge of VMware s virtualization topology including VCenter, ESXi Servers, HA, DRS and VMotion.
- Experience implementing security best practices associated with the Linux platform
- A strong understanding of networking is required
- Experience with hardening the Linux operating System to ensure a consistent secure platform
- Must possess a strong in-depth knowledge of the Linux operating system
- Must possesses a working knowledge of network services and protocols including TCP/IP, DNS, and DHCP services
- Must have the ability to create and maintain shell (BASH) and Python scripts
- Experience with Centrify Server suite a plus
- Experience with patch deployment associated with the Linux operating system
- Ability to develop strategic technical documentation and written communications relative to field of expertise (policies, process documents, procedural documents, troubleshooting documents, and quick reference guides)
- Excellent troubleshooting, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Ability to coach and mentor less experienced staff to help develop skills and thought processes
- Superior customer service skills
- Project management oriented with ability to lead project planning through implementation
- Strong written and verbal skills, comfortable preparing documentation of procedures and guidelines
- Detail orientation, and the ability to record, organize, and communicate
- Occasional travel may be required
- Ability to work flexible schedules when required.
- Ability to take direction and guidance from the Security Engineering team
- Ability to multitask and appropriately prioritize duties
- A self-starter who can excel in a team environment of a growing and dynamic enterprise. A nonpolitical team player who can build immediate credibility with all teams