Controls Design Engineer
Posted on Aug 14, 2019 by Peraton
We are seeking a Controls Development Engineer (CDE) in Monrovia, CA office to support our Deep Space Network (DSN) Operations and Maintenance O&M contract with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) and NASA. The DSN Facilities CDE's develop innovative technical solutions to complex problems and make recommendations for improvement to sustain and support the development of the various assemblies in the Facilities and Antenna Subsystems serving NASA's Deep Space Communications Complexes (DSCCs) in Australia, Spain and California.
The Deep Space Network is NASA's international array of giant radio antennas that supports interplanetary spacecraft missions, plus a few that orbit Earth. The DSN also provides radar and radio astronomy observations that improve our understanding of the solar system and the larger universe. The antennas of the Deep Space Network are the indispensable link to explorers venturing beyond the moon. They provide the crucial connection for commanding our spacecraft and receiving their never before seen images and scientific information on Earth, propelling our understanding of the universe, our solar system and ultimately, our place within it.
What you'll do...
- Oversee all aspects of design, preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and installation of controls equipment for the DSN facilities and antennas
- Perform a wide variety of difficult and highly complex engineering, design, analysis, or other technical tasks utilizing current technology and available standards, templates and cataloged products
- Provide engineering support to facilities systems; driving upgrade projects from concept to completion, as required for continuous improvement of the facilities systems to ensure that support and services of the department meet the highest quality of standards, safety and performance
- Closely work with the Mechanical (HVAC), Electrical, Fiber Optic and Fire Protection project design team members
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed.
- Interpret client requirements, identify and address design parameters and engineering problems and ensure solutions are implemented accurately and within budget.
- Coordinate design elements with other design disciplines
- Create and finalize designs to meet project requirements.
- Provide technical support to customers.
- Commission customized products and systems onsite and at customer facilities ensure working as designed
- Able to document, report and generate user manuals, installation procedures, test procedures, etc.
You'd be a great fit if...
- You have a Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited institution in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related discipline and have 2+ years of related field experience.
- You have 2+ years of demonstrated experience with electro-mechanical components (actuators, AC/DC motors, VFD or VSD, motor controllers)
- You Have 2+ years of experience with serial and parallel communication protocols (I2C, Modbus, CAN bus, BACnet)
- You have experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and working knowledge of latest Windows operating system.
- Are able to obtain a trusted background check and pass a National Criminal Information Check (NCIC). In order to obtain a clearance, you need to be a US Citizen and show proof of citizenship.
- 10% of domestic and international travel to Deep Space Communications Complexes (DSCCs), may be required.
- You have a Masters Degree.
- Have a Engineer in Training (EIT) Certification or Professional Engineering (PE) License.
- Have a Project Manager Professional (PMP) Certification
- Have a basic understanding of non-linear electrical/electronic components (transistors, diodes, AC-DC/DC-AC converters/inverters)
- Have a basic understanding of project/task management
- Able to multi-task, adapt to change quickly, are an analytical thinker and are detail oriented.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to work independently with minimal direction
- Are bilingual, the ability to speak and write Spanish is a plus.
- An immediately-vested 401(K) with employer matching
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Tuition assistance, financing, and refinancing
- Company-paid infertility treatments
- Cross-training and professional development opportunities
- Influence major initiatives.
Are you ready to join the next-generation of national security? Peraton is a fresh name in the industry with an established portfolio and Legacy going back more than a century. We work differently than our peers - with agility, the freedom to innovate, an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture of responsibility. As part of the Peraton team, you'll be part of our movement to build a great company, solve the most daunting challenges facing mankind today, to protect and promote freedom around the world, and to secure our future, for our families, our communities, our nation, and our way of life.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.