Registered Nurse 12 HR Shift
Posted on Aug 13, 2019 by Wellpath
Our Registered Nurse (RN) performs the functions of assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care for the assigned patients on the unit during a shift. As a charge nurse, the RN is responsible for managing all assigned personnel, supplies and equipment and for the promotion of collaboration with all members of the health care team. The primary goal for the RN is to ensure positive patient care outcomes are achieved. The RN works with other members of the health care team, family and/or caretakers to provide compassionate care to the patient. After orientation and skills validation is required to float to other patient care areas as needed to ensure appropriate staffing level and mix to provide safe, high quality nursing care.
Education for Registered Nurse:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing by the National League for Nursing
- BSN qualification and nursing specialty certification preferred
Experience for Registered Nurse:
- One to three (1-3) years' experience in acute and/or psychiatric/forensic settings preferred
Licenses/Certifications for Registered Nurse:
- Must have a current, unrestricted license to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of practice, or be eligible for same through reciprocity with other states
- Ensures the performance and documentation of a comprehensive psychosocial and physical assessment of the patient with data gathered through interview, observation, inspection, auscultation, palpation and reports.
- Determines patient problems, age-based needs, desired outcomes and nursing interventions based on the assessment. The written plan of care will include clinical, teaching and discharge components.
- Implements the interventions defined in the plan of care so that desired outcomes can be achieved. The RN will ensure appropriate patient and health education. The RN will individualize interventions with consideration of patient's age; ensure the documentation of all interventions. The RN will delegate appropriate interventions to other team members.
- Provides oversight for licensed practical nurses performing nursing duties each shift. Reviews documentation of nursing care, reviews administration of medication and evaluates treatments provided to patients as ordered.
- Evaluates nursing outcomes and makes revisions to the nursing plan of care as required. The RN will ensure the reassessment of the patient in accordance with departmental policy.
- Leads and participates in performance improvement initiatives for the unit, department and/or hospital- wide.
- Aggregates and analyzes information related to nursing practice to identify trends. Participates and performs in nursing peer review to evaluate quality of nursing care. Practices principle of risk management, safety and infection control.
- Intervenes in and reports directly in situations which are immediately harmful to the patient. Ensures the completion of all required documentation related to incidents or situations in which an unusual event has occurred.
- Works directly with the nursing supervisor to coordinate all patient care activities for the unit. Appropriately assigns patient care duties to staff based on patient acuity.
- Utilizes appropriate interpersonal skills when collaborating with organizational health care team members.
- Participates in utilization review, discharge planning and case management to ensure appropriate level of care and utilization of resources.
- Accurately transcribes medical orders and ensures appropriate procedures are followed for transcription and verification of medical orders.
- Establishes intra- and interdisciplinary collaborative relationships with all members of the health care team.
- Serves as primary liaison with physicians related to the care of the patient.
- Participates in orientation and continuing education of peers and other members of the health care team.
- Responds to changes in the work setting and in the schedule in a collaborative and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional practice as evidenced by: Initiation of plans to solve department level problems and to improve patient care. Professional practice within legal and regulatory parameters.
- Participation in patient and healthcare committees.
- Assesses needs of patients and delegates appropriately to team members.
- Organizes and prioritizes elements of patient care for self and team.
- Models professional behavior reflective of the nursing care philosophy of safe and compassionate care.
- Ensures availability of adequate supplies and material resources to provide care for patient.
- Maintains annual clinical and administrative competencies for nursing care.
- Completed HIPAA training and maintains confidentiality of patient and employee information and records.
- Advocates for patient's rights.
- Maintains the image of the The Company facility and work area as a safe, clean, efficient, caring organization by demonstrating a team approach which produces an environment conducive to patient, family and team well-being.
- Demonstrates loyalty and commitment to the organization.
- Understands that safe and compassionate care is the number one priority.
- Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a variety of practical and emergent situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may call for deviations.
- Must be able to apply sound judgment beyond a specific set of instructions and apply knowledge to different factual situations.
- Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to details.
- Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Wellpath is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer