Licensed Vocational Nurse I (Temporary Staffing Unit) Orange County Ar
Posted on Aug 13, 2019 by DaVita Medical Group
OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
Responsible for performing patient-oriented procedures under the supervision of a clinician or Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) or Care Team Supervisor (CTS) to ensure safe and appropriate care. Responsible for performing operational duties as required under the supervision of the site administrator or designee.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate DaVita Medical Group's (DMG) commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer.
- Closely monitors patient safety at all times (i.e. does not leave patient on an exam table unattended) and participates in DMG fall prevention program.
- Complies with DMG sharps safety program at all times (i.e. only using devices with safety features and employing safe work practices).
- Directs patient to proper exam/treatment area and prepares patient for examinations and other procedures.
- Assists in the transportation of patient and patient flow.
- Obtains records and reports vital signs and any other pertinent patient information to the RN or clinician.
- Administers medication, performs various patient tests, and instructs patients on procedural preparations under the supervision of the clinician or RN within their scope of practice.
- Notifies pharmacies of new prescriptions and authorizations of new refills as ordered by the clinician.
- Collects, labels and transports various specimens to appropriate destinations.
- Maintains and cleans exam/treatment areas and medical equipment.
- Maintains logs, records of medical procedures and inventories of supplies.
- Performs telephone screening / intake.
- Adheres to Standard Precautions and safety policy and procedures at all times.
- Uses, protects, and discloses DMG patients' protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Complies with DMG sharps safety program at all times, i.e. only using devices with safety features and employing safe work practices.
- Anticipates the needs of the Primary Care Physician (PCP) and carries out orders.
- Checks Electronic Health Records (EHR) for patients' arrival status and escorts patients from waiting area to exam rooms.
- Assists clinician and teammates in responding to patient emergency situations as per Emergency Response Protocols.
- Transports dirty equipment, performs appropriate cleaning, disinfecting, autoclaving, cold sterilization, maintains autoclave, cidex and A-test logs.
- Maintains monthly expiration logs for medications and sample medications (refrigerated and non-refrigerated).
- Maintains yearly expiration logs for Preventative Maintenance (PM) and as needed.
- Performs EKG reconciliation and ensures confirmed EKG's are seen by clinician.
- Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other procedure / testing preparations.
- Participates in visit closure with patient and clinician by explaining next steps for lab, X-ray, referrals, Durable Medical Equipment (DME), etc.
- Escorts patients to ancillary services when needed.
- Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information between site and referred Specialists, Hospitals, Urgent Care Centers, Ancillary Testing Facilities, etc.
- Forwards all pre-op information to hospital surgeon.
- Maintains referral tickler file / log as appropriate.
- Schedules appointments.
- Registers new patients and refers them to the Eligibility department as needed.
- Conducts New Patient Orientation Phase II.
- Enters "No shows" into IDX, and performs "No Show" follow up process.
- Works bump list.
- Maintains immunization records and updates EHR (including California Immunization Registry (CAIR)).
- Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (DMV, disability, etc.).
- Updates patient demographic information in IDX.
- Performs patient record audits.
- Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls.
- Calls patients as requested by clinician.
- Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test results, etc.).
- Participates in handling patient concerns, forwards form to the Patient Liaison or supervisor and responds to patient complaints if appropriate.
- Completes Care Team compliance measures on a daily basis (department specific).
- Assists with Quality Metrics, Comprehensive Health Assessment Programs (CHAPS) formally HCC research, telephone call procedures, and patient follow up procedures.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Participates in preparing department for internal and external site audits (facility site reviews) from SCAN, DHS, etc.
- Interacts with the Patient Support Center, Eligibility department and Pharmacy Support Center.
- Participates in teammates / clinician "huddles".
- Participates regularly in site teammates and department meetings.
- Covers Care Team Member 1 and 2 positions as needed.
- May assists with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs, senior Olympics, flu clinics and other events).
- Frequently monitors overdue orders and follows approved process to address the orders.
- Assists with Meaningful Use (MU) initiative by encouraging patients to sign up for Follow My Health (FMH), obtaining patient's email addresses, updating smoking status, and other initiatives.
- Assists clinicians with medication reconciliation per guidelines.
- Uses approved standing orders to perform, order test and update referrals.
- Assists with entering referrals in electronic health records EHR for clinician to authorize.
- Enters medical billing charges for services rendered in EHR.
- Participates in all mandatory training including those that could be held after working hours including the weekend.
- Provides direct patient care as needed.
- Attends in all mandatory Clinical Teammate Orientation (CTO) (both instructor led and online courses), Annual Clinical Updates, and Skills validation including those that could be held after working hours including the weekend.
- Participates in facilitation of annual skills validation for Medical Assistants take place during evening hours and or weekends (selected Saturdays only).
- Ensures all Patient Intervention Reports (PIR) have been reviewed and actions taken.
- Assists clinician and licensed nursing teammates in responding to patient emergency situations as per Emergency Response Protocols.
- Participates in verifying medications and vaccine doses for non-licensed teammates.
- Mentors and trains teammates in collaboration with the Site Administrator, lead clinician and people services department.
- Cross trainings to work in other departments or other duties as assigned by supervisor /management.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a two-year college.
- Graduation from an accredited Licensed Vocational Nurse program.
- Current California LVN license.
- I.V. therapy and phlebotomy certification required.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (AHA)- (100% online certification is not acceptable).
- Up to and including 1 year of experience.
- Previous Licensed Vocational Nurse work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Computer literate.
- Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH ADA:
- Carrying/Lifting: Occasional/ 0-25 lbs
- Standing: Frequent/ Up to 6 hours per day
- Sitting: Frequent/ Up to 6 hours per day
- Walking: Frequent/ Up to 6 hours per day
- Repetitive Motion: Keyboard activity, telephone use, writing, reaching, grasping, pushing, pulling
- Visual Acuity: Ability to view computer monitor and read newsprint with or without corrective lenses
- Environmental Exposure: Exposure to biohazard materials (human blood and fluid, communicable diseases, chemicals such as gluteraldehydes and other germicidal agents)