RN Chemotherapy Infusion
Posted on Aug 13, 2019 by DaVita Medical Group
The Chemotherapy Nurse is a professional registered nurse certified in biotherapy and chemotherapy administration. Utilizing the nursing process, the chemotherapy nurse will provide care for patients with cancer. He/she must work autonomously and have the authority and accountability for the decision making relative to the nursing care provided. He/she will work in collaboration with oncologist/hematologist in the overall assessment, interpretation, planning, implementation, and evaluation of patient care
- Responsible for quality and continuous improvement within the job scope.
- Responsible for all actions/responsibilities as described in company controlled documentation for this position.
- Contributes to and supports the corporation's quality initiatives by planning, communicating and encouraging team and individual contributions toward the corporation's quality improvement efforts.
- Administers chemotherapy, targeted therapy, hydration and other medications via peripherally intravenous access, implanted ports and maintains central line catheter devices.
- Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
- Assesses patients for changes in condition, including but not limited to abnormal labs, drug reactions and initiates appropriate action.
- Facilitates dose modification by assessing patient, assessing labs, consulting protocol or treatment plan, calculating dose, and consulting physician regarding dosage modifications, problems, and symptom management.
- Provides treatment education to patients and families.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintain professional affiliations.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Performs other work related duties and responsibilities as directed, assigned or requested.
- 1 year of clinical experience in an acute or outpatient setting (REQUIRED)
- Proficiency in venipuncture and intravenous infusion (REQUIRED)
- 3 to 5 years of recent clinical nursing experience (PREFERRED)
- Previous experience in Oncology environment (PREFERRED)
- Previous experience in use of Electronic Health Records (PREFERRED)
- Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) by ONCC (PREFERRED)
- Graduation from an accredited school of Nursing
- Chemotherapy & Biotherapy Provider by ONS (to be acquired within 3 months of hire)
- Basic Life Support CPR by AHA
- Current Nevada State RN license
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Proficiency in venipuncture and intravenous infusion.
- Computer literate.
- Knowledge of current standards of patient care.
- Thorough understanding of RN scope of practice
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with physicians, patients, families and ancillary staff.
- Ability to make sound, independent judgments and act professionally under pressure.