Software Engineer - API team
Posted on Aug 13, 2019 by Capital One
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Software Engineer - API team
Occasionally in your career, an opportunity comes to accomplish something truly unique and spectacular. For about a decade, Capital One credit card has been building best-in-class open-standards based middleware to support our business. We recently made a bold strategic decision to become a trailblazer in both the financial industry, the enterprise technology industry as a whole by declaring that we will reinvent our enterprise using best-in-class open source technology operating in the public cloud.
At Capital One, we are building a new agile team to deliver working software for the Card Core Business in US Card in support of product development for the future state API platform. Team members utilize Agile Delivery practices and are responsible for end-to-end delivery of micro-services (feature grooming, design, development, testing, and implementation) along with managing and owning the ongoing application maintenance and operations (You Build, You Own).
This team is moving through an exciting modernization phase and migrating from SOAP to REST APIs and Java to Golang.
Come join us on our modernization journey and check out the details on this role below!
In this role you will:
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios
- Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full stack of development tools and technologies
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experimenting with and learning new technologies
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Work as part of a dynamic team throughout the software development life cycle
- Collaborate with architects, engineers and analysts to implement enhancements or new applications
- Develop code to meet story acceptance criteria
- Conduct design and code review to ensure compliance with standards
- Create automated test suites to validate the quality of your code
- Own technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems
- Collaborate with other platforms tech leads to ensure integrated end-to-end design and delivery
Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
At least 2 years of Java development experience
At least 2 years of experience developing REST APIs
At least 2 years of experience using Agile development practices
At least 2 years of experience using SQL or Relational Database
4+ years of software development
2+ years of experience developing on a Spring framework
Expertise with Kafka messaging and streaming technology
Understanding of Git version control system
Exposure to Financial Services and Banking concepts
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.