Linux Administrator (OpenVMS)
Posted on Aug 13, 2019 by Avance Consulting (Europe) Limited
- Responsible for high-level systems administration, planning, design and support of complex enterprise systems for both Linux and OpenVMS
- Identifies requirements, builds, and tests, deploys and maintains consistent and stable technical operating environment as part of Business & Technology Services.
- Candidate will spend ~ 40% of time supporting OpenVMS and ~60% of time supporting Linux based platforms Daily operation of OpenVMS & Linux/UNIX based Servers and clusters including monitoring, troubleshooting and break/fix of issues with hardware, operating system, layered software products, and printing.
- Deploy security/bug fixes, patches or upgrades as required to maintain hardware/firmware, operating systems, and layered products
- Conducts proactive capacity planning, performance monitoring, configuration tuning and technology refresh support of OpenVMS including HPE Insight Remote Support for monitoring and Availability Manager for troubleshooting and repairing OpenVMS clusters and nodes.
- Support application development team by answering OpenVMS questions, provide OpenVMS input to development ideas and issues, provide OpenVMS designs to fit application development and support interfaces to manufacturing equipment.
- Support Service Desk Level 2 agents by supporting the Service Desk OpenVMS interface for user account management and answering OpenVMS questions
- Provide technical support for on-site hardware repairs
- Manage the support contracts for OpenVMS hardware, operating system, layered products and/or other software
- Participate in 24x7 On-Call rotation
- Participate and/or lead technical projects for OpenVMS
- Performs incident and problem analysis and resolves escalated technical problems following established guidelines. Responsible for evaluating outages, reviewing impact of supported systems, and troubleshooting incident resolution
- Define standards, guidelines, best practices and metrics.
- Establishes and maintains system specific documentation and operational procedures within the domain
- Manages & reinforces systems security in accordance with industry best practices and company policy
- Disaster recovery planning and testing as required
- Should have experience in Installation/Configuration/Troubleshooting of RHEL5.x,6.x/and Hardware Platforms.
- Troubleshooting the performance issues and performance tuning knowledge is mandatory.
- Experience in Server Build is required.
- Experience in OS Patching and Redhat Subscription Manager is Mandatory.
- NFS and CIFS Setup & Troubleshooting for both Server and Client.
- Experience in LVM (LVM management creating, modifying deleting of volume groups, and logical volumes).
- Participating in rotating "on call" duty with team members.
- Experience in Identification and problem solving.
- ITIL Process knowledge (Problem, Incident, Change Management) is preferred.