RN Registered Nurse Emergency Room
Posted on Aug 12, 2019 by John Randolph Medical Center
DescriptionSHIFT: Nights (rotating weekends)
We're your local community hospital, serving Hopewell, Colonial Heights, Petersburg and the surrounding area since 1915. At our 147-bed hospital, you can access the advanced technology and sophisticated treatments typically found in larger urban medical centers. As one of the HCA Virginia hospitals, we deliver the best of both worlds-high-quality, technology-assisted expert care in a warm, welcoming and personalized environment.
The Emergency Department RN provides direct nursing care in accordance with established policies, procedures and protocols of the healthcare organization. The tasks and responsibilities include:
• Assesses, plans and evaluates patient care needs.
• Prioritizes patient care based on acuity level and available resources.
• Carries out physician orders.
• Assists physician during examination, treatment and procedures.
• Administers prescribed medications, changes dressings, cleans wounds, monitors vital signs.
• Serves as the primary coordinator of all disciplines for well coordinated patient care.
• Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
• Instructs and educates patients and families.
• Assesses and coordinates patient's discharge planning needs with members of the healthcare team.
• Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
• Orients and mentors new staff members.
• Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
• Customer service abilities including effective listening skills.
• Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds.
Required - Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing.
Preferred - BSN degree or currently enrolled in BSN Program.
Required - Current licensure as an RN in the state of Virginia.
Required - Current certification as an American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider upon hire. ACLS, and PALS certifications required within 6 months (180 days) of hire or start date in position.
Preferred - Current certification in specialty field, TNCC certification.
Required - Minimum of two years of experience as a RN with demonstrated competency in emergency dept.