Footprinting Data Management Consultant
Posted on Aug 12, 2019 by The Carbon Trust (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
Contract term: Permanent
Closing date: 9th August 2019
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
We are seeking to fill a new position of Footprinting Data Management Consultant, responsible for the creation, maintenance and enhancement of underlying data sets in a centrally managed database; and to work with colleagues responsible for Tools to optimise how data transfers between this database and each tool (both on-line and Excel based).
In this role, the Consultant will act as database administrator, and technical expert around database design, data flows, and optimisation of SQL queries; as well as leading group decision-making around the storage and access to client data as well as Carbon Trust generated IP, in the databases and tools.
Whilst experience in databases and SQL are central to the role; a knowledge of on-line software development, and Excel VBA would be advantageous. A knowledge of the type of data being stored would be desirable but is not essential - as we can teach candidates this if required.
In this role, the Consultant will provide analytical rigour and technical expertise as well as applying project management skills to ensure delivery of work on time and to high standards of quality. In addition, the Consultant must be able to work within a wider team to understand their needs, reach agreed solutions and ensure that deliverables meet their needs and expectations. Capturing and sharing knowledge will be an important part of the role.
The Carbon Trust's mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena and to have a material effect on the long-term sustainability of the global economy.
The Business Services team provides consultancy advice to UK and international corporates, helping them grow and profit from the low-carbon, economy while responsibly managing their impact on climate change. We help clients address climate change and resource efficiency as strategic business issues, enabling them to understand and realise opportunities and mitigate risks.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Lead the maintenance, updates and design of all centrally managed databases
• Technical lead of how data is optimally transferred between these databases and tools (both on-line and MS-Excel, in terms of DB design, SQL queries, VBA etc)
• Manage internal relationships, to understand new development needs - ensuring that consensus is reached, expectations are appropriately set and met, and dealing with any issues and difficulties as they arise
• Technical lead, working with IT department, around security of data
• Work both collaboratively and self-sufficiently across the Carbon Trust
• Coaching and mentoring, transferring knowledge and skills, and contributing to their professional development
• In addition, the Consultant will also contribute to practice development and institution-building efforts (e.g. knowledge development, proposition development and sales)
Qualifications and experience:
• Experience of relational database design and management, plus advanced SQL querying (ideally MS-Azure)
• Experience of software development (ideally web-based)
• Experience of MS-Excel to an advanced level, with VBA programming experience (ideally experience of using SQL queries within MS-Excel)
• Excellent quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to lead the thought process, and reach an agreed consensus
• Ability to think and work independently, taking the initiative and 'ownership' of assignments, and having excellent organisational and time management skills
• An understanding of carbon footprinting would be advantageous
• Bachelor's degree educated (or equivalent); graduates with at least a 2:1 level of achievement (or equivalent) are strongly preferred
• Additional relevant post-graduate qualification (e.g. MBA or professional qualification) preferred but not essential
• Fluency in oral and written English
• A professional track record of achievement in areas relevant to the role's scope of responsibilities
• Clearly demonstrable technical experience required to deliver in this role
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please click the apply button.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY