Registered Nurse (RN) - Dialysis At Home
Posted on Aug 12, 2019 by DaVita
DaVita's Bloomfield Hills is hiring a Full time Registered Nurse for their home therapies program. This RN provides education, training, care, and support for the Home ESRD dialysis patient, reporting to the Facility Administrator. In this nursing role, you take responsibility for the complete ongoing care of each patient to ensure their home dialysis treatment stays on track. Dialysis experience is not required; we will train you upon hire. RNs will work Business Hours in office with travel to patient homes with the initial training being conducted in the Grand Blanc area.
This is a tight-knit team, with lots of longevity and nursing tenure. Open communication, a willingness to learn, and accepting feedback are imperative to success at this clinic.
What to Expect
- Complexity - You multitask in myriad ways - put down one patient's chart, start another, work with a physician, run out to get a medication, respond to a supplier's request - with lots of loose ends to pull together and a lot of follow up. It's challenging, fun and keeps your day fresh.
- Educator - Empower your patients by teaching them to administer their own dialysis and to take their health back into their own hands. Training patients takes time and mental energy and the rewards of that investment come in seeing the transformation of your patients from feeling sick and afraid, to strong and independent.
- Autonomy - Provide comprehensive patient care in an independent setting. Plan to be on your toes at all times. You use your mind constantly. You apply your "core" nursing skills to assess, diagnose and implement complete care plans as you look at the whole patient. There's a lot to track and manage and the joy comes in witnessing how your care impacts patients' lives.
What DaVita Provides
- In-classroom and hands on training: if you are new to dialysis, we'll provide a 9-12 week paid training and the support to guide you through to becoming a nephrology nurse.
- Opportunity for a nursing career for a lifetime. DaVita is committed to providing robust development and experience for nurses. Whether you chose to remain in a patient facing/caregiving role or grow (leadership operations, corporate functions, integrated care, clinical research), we can guide you on that journey.
- Education assistance and license reimbursement: annual $3,000 tuition reimbursement and potential $25,000 scholarship opportunity. CNN and CDN certification reimbursement.
- 3000+ locations across the U.S. for wherever life may take you.
- Comprehensive benefits package: including medical, dental, vision, 401k plan, $2,500 cash gift for new parents, back-up child and elder care and so much more
- Evaluates ESRD patients to determine if they are candidates for home dialysis care (Home Hemodialysis, Extended dialysis, Short Daily HD, Self-Care HD); Work closely with nephrologists and home care team in evaluating patients for program
- Performs initial patient assessment, reviews dialysis orders, determines general physical and mental condition of patient, assists in determining compliance to dietary or medication regimen, documents all observations appropriately as well as patient compliance to dietary or medication regimen
- Educates patients on how to assume primary responsibility for own health maintenance including but not limited to orienting patients to the home dialysis program, training the patient in home dialysis techniques, communicating regularly with physician during training, providing written resources pertaining to home dialysis, providing appropriate orientation and training to patients on Emergency preparedness
- Coordinates care when home dialysis patient is hospitalized
- Evaluates patient monthly in facility including labs, blood pressure, weight, adequacy, vascular access, and provide ongoing patient education, hemodialysis training and therapy
- Makes periodic visits to the home to monitor and provide oversight of patient's adaptation to home treatment; monitor and order supplies as needed for the home dialysis patient
- Administers quality patient care in a considerate, respectful manner; ability to evaluate home environment in order to meet treatment specifications.
- Takes and/or responds to on-call as necessary; provide emergency care as needed
- Instructs patients on pre- and post-dialysis care
- Participates in the development and implementation of the patient's short and long term plan of care and monthly progress note in collaboration with nephrologists, Clinical Nurse Manager and/or other Home Hemodialysis team members (dietitian, social worker, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned o A facility may be selected to participate in research study(ies) under the guidance of DaVita Clinical Research. Any clinical or administrative duty required by the study protocol, which is provided during the course of a patient's treatment, is considered an essential duty of the job
- Nursing degree from accredited school of nursing required
- At least 12 months of clinical nursing experience and an additional three (3) months of training in the 2/2 modality per CMS CFC Current RN license in state of practice
- Current CPR certification required
- Completed training program approved by the medical director and the governing body as required by CMS guidelines prior to operating and instructing the patient in regards to the water treatment system
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in MS Word and Outlook required; functional proficiency in all computer systems of DaVita within 90 days of hire required
- Preferred previous Chronic Hemodialysis, Acute Dialysis and/or Peritoneal Dialysis (PD) nursing experience
- Preferred Training/Teaching/Healthcare Education background
- Preferred Certified Nephrology Nurse (CNN) or Certified Dialysis Nurse (CDN)
Interested in learning more about home hemodialysis? Read more here .
Questions? Email us at (see below) or send us a message on our DaVita Careers Facebook page.
DaVita is an equal opportunity employer - Vet and Disability. To learn more about what this means click here.