Paralegal Specialist - Lincoln
Posted on Aug 12, 2019 by Allstate Insurance Company.
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary
The Paralegal job family supports the efficient operation of the Law & Regulation (L&R) department by applying knowledge of legal concepts and processes. Under the direction of the organizations attorneys, conducts legal research, drafts legal documents, manages project intake and execution, summarizes legal research, consults with outside counsel and manages data in the case management system.
Provides paralegal and administrative support for specific practice area, under general attorney supervision. Drafts standard documentation, distributes for review, and obtains necessary approvals and signatures. Conducts, summarizes, and analyzes basic research. Summarizes and monitors relevant issues. Manages intake of new matters, as well as the data in case management system, and gathers matter related documents for the attorney to analyze.
- Conduct, summarize, and analyze basic research, including gathering facts, researching and analysing applicable laws, regulations, and case laws, etc., as necessary
- Maintain corporate records and archives, in accordance with records retention requirements
- Assist with the identification and summarizing of relevant issues; continually monitor issues and update attorney, as appropriate
- Review new and proposed legislation and determine applicability
- Gather matter related documents for the attorney to analyze
- Manage intake of new matters; enter new matter data and upload new documents
- Review and explain various aspects of forms to in-house clients
- Consult with outside counsel, as needed
- Oversee project management, coordination, and collaboration with L&R, business clients and board members, as needed
- Manage data (execute, file, track, and retain) documents in matter management system
- Prepare and follow through on filings with regulatory agencies (including required follow-up issues, requests, etc.)
- Coordinate with various functions within the company to respond to regulatory inquiries, licensing requests, law department referrals, and business transactions
- Assist with management of litigation, as needed
- Knowledge of required software applications at an intermediate level (MS Office)
- Provide administrative support
- Education: Bachelors Degree in related field; American Bar Association (ABA) approved Paralegal Certificate
- Insurance-industry or "securities" experience preferred, but nor required
- Knowledge of legal holds and discovery processes preferred
- Analytical skills and strong attention to detail
- MS Office skills experience (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to identify, prioritize and solve problems effectively regarding basic matters
- Ability to work in diverse, multi-office, and long distance environments
- Basic budget management skills and ability to reconcile expense reports
- Basic project management skills and experience interacting with law firm/vendors
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Basic researching, proofreading, and formatting skills
- Ability to collaborate and interact with all levels of personnel and build strong relationships with business colleagues
- High degree of ethics and integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills, advanced written and oral communication and effective customer service skills
- Ability to identify inconsistencies in routine work and initiate corrective action within own workflow
- Able to deliver results with a sense of urgency
- Adapts well to change; able to multi-task and make effective decisions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Is a proactive self-starter who is able to manage his/her time effectively and work independently
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment