Research Engineer-Mobility Analytics
Posted on Aug 12, 2019 by Allstate Insurance Company.
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is looking to hire researcher engineers to join our Innovation team at our downtown Chicago and Menlo Park (SF Bay area) locations.
Our team works on a diverse set of data and systems including accident data, location data, computer vision, mobility data, demographics, and deep learning tools to create safety solutions, and cutting-edge risk assessing platforms. This is a great opportunity to work with a talented team of some of the world's leading experts to build solutions that are not only groundbreaking, but also helps make driving safer and save lives.
The Researcher Engineer will develop novel methods, tools, algorithms and techniques that can leverage both structured and semi-structured data to solve tough problems like mobility analytics, accident avoidance and risk prediction for traditional insurance and safety products. He/she will also assist in efforts to evaluate, extract, scrub/prep, analyze and visualize a host of internal and external datasets using machine learning and statistical analysis and communicate to various stakeholders across and outside the company.
- Develop solutions, understand the technical problem and solution space, explore analytical and experimentation approach to create solution proof points.
- Conduct collaborative research with outside partners, including leading Universities and strategic business partners. Investigate technology trends, industry advancements and application of those technologies within our solution set. A strong passion for empirical research is a necessary trait.
- Collaborate in a fast-changing environment and to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues who range from academic researchers, senior data scientists, Developers, Dev Ops, Hardware engineers, and Product managers.
- Present findings for enterprise specific topics to senior leadership.
- Prepare and deliver presentations and/or training sessions to share insights from research, software, tools or procedures to internal and external audience on a periodic basis.
- Develop methods, tools, algorithms, processing approaches for business solutions and product development.
- Bachelors in computer science, math, or a highly quantitative discipline.
- Deep hands on development skills in full stack mobile and/or web services software development, and cloud computing to support high volume and low latency-sensitive data.
- Mastery of one or more of the following languages: Python, Java, Swift, C/C++, and agile development tool suites.
- Knowledge of advanced data processing/Real Time systems using tools such as Spark, Flume, Kafka and Akka.
- Knowledge in statistical methods and analysis including a deep understanding of regression and classification techniques.
- 3 to 7 years of experience in research and product development.
- Proficiency in SQL and database management: create, edit, update, join, append and query data from relational DBs and big data platforms.
- Proficiency with data visualization and graphics tools for the creation of professional presentations, reports, web content, or education materials.
- Genuinely excited and enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits when finding new solutions.
- Ability to create and maintain good working relationships and collaborations while being able to work independently and take initiative.
- Experience/knowledge in model optimization, evaluation, comparison, validation and selection.
- Experience related to mobile device development, and transportation systems is highly desired.
- Experience in predictive model development, machine learning (MLlib, Mahout) and visualization tools of complex data.
- Experience taking ideas from inception to pre-production products is highly desired.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.