Posted on Aug 11, 2019 by Assurant
Join our growing company and take your career to the next level!
This is a key position within a small, collaborative team which represents the investment actuarial effort within Assurant Asset Management. Assurant Asset Management is responsible for managing approximately $14 billion dollars of assets across a variety of platforms, asset classes, and risk profiles. This group partners closely with Assurants operating businesses on a variety of responsibilities that require both a business and an investment perspective.
The Investment Actuarial team is responsible for several strategic and quantitative functions affecting the company's investment decision making process with respect to the general account, pension, and corporate assets. These functions in part include asset liability management, portfolio risk management, strategic asset allocation, income projections, review/valuation of existing businesses and M&A transactions, etc. This position is expected to contribute proactively to the overall strategic thinking and direction of the team. This includes managing and improving existing models and processes as well as designing and building new models to support and inform the investment function. In addition, the Investment Actuary will work on and contribute to a variety of other projects which combine investment, insurance and actuarial concepts. Assurant expects the incumbent to show continued growth, to contribute to the decision making process, and to expand skills and expertise in relevant subject matter areas.
Assume ownership and responsibility for a variety of processes and models supporting the investment function.
- Being able to critically review, develop and implement improvements and changes to existing efforts.
- Designing, building and implementing investment/actuarial models as needed to support and inform the strategic investment decision process
- Maintaining the complete model/process life cycle including: assumption and parameter generation, measurement/quantification and interpretation/explanation of results and changes.
- Developing, questioning and validating key model/process parameters, assumptions, drivers and scenarios.
- Working collaboratively with others to research and probe key issues.
- 5+ years of experience in an insurance company or financial services setting
- BA/BS required.
- MBA/CFA preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in an insurance company or financial services setting preferred.
- Associate or Fellow of the Society of Actuaries or Casualty Actuarial Society preferred.
- Strong background in Fixed Income and capital markets with emphasis on financial modelling and risk management.
- Knowledge/understanding of insurance company fundamentals including portfolio management, actuarial concepts and principles, statutory and GAAP accounting, capital requirements, asset liability mgmt., portfolio and enterprise risk mgmt.
- Very strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as strong presentation capabilities.
- Strong computer skills, superior ability to design and build efficient financial models in excel.
- Knowledge of Visual Basic programming in Excel.
- Ability to brainstorm creatively, problem solve, provide and vet new ideas and suggestions.
- Ability to work in both a team and an autonomous environment.
- Ability to understand instructions and unfamiliar concepts quickly, work independently, take ownership of responsibilities and deliver results.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Ability to handle pressure and work with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines.