Data Engineer, Cybersecurity Risk Metrics and Analytics
Posted on Aug 11, 2019 by Liberty Mutual Insurance
Data Engineer, Cybersecurity Risk Metrics and Analytics
We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as a tech startup within a Fortune 100 company, we are leading a digital disruption that will redefine how people experience insurance.
The Global Cyber Risk Management team is seeking a Data Engineer for an exciting opportunity to design and build out a Cybersecurity Risk Analytics platform. Partnering closely with the Product Owner, s/he will automate aggregation, ingestion, and normalization of disparate data sources on a platform that provides consumable metrics, self-service reporting, visualizations, and advanced analytics. Solutions delivered will enable measurement, modelling, and predictive analytics to inform risk-based decisions and strategic direction for the enterprise. Areas include assessment of Real Time control coverage, user behavior analytics, threat-based modelling, and risk simulation.
As an engineer in the cybersecurity organization, the ideal candidate knows how to deliver business requirements with a security-first mindset. Access to data, services, and APIs is secure by design, and a deep understanding of protection of privacy, data localization, and security policies is foundational. S/he should have experience working with technology partners across a global business - software developers, architects, analysts, and data scientists to ensure a consistent, consumable, and reliable data ecosystem.
S/he will lead projects of high technical complexity and will be responsible for directing and monitoring the work of team members. The Data Engineer will also be involved in all aspects of system analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation.
Strong candidates should be self-directed, have excellent communication skills, and be comfortable identifying, prioritizing, and partnering with team members to deliver solutions to meet the needs of customers and stakeholders. As a thought leader in this space, the Data Engineer must be able to provide a foundation for an automated and integrated risk-based security strategy that can meet current needs, as well as anticipate and influence future cybersecurity strategic areas and investments.
About the job:
Leads and consults on the following highly complex activities:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional/non-functional business requirements
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members and work with data and analytics experts to identify and build additional functionality in our data systems
- Develop system/application architecture
- Work within project team to lead iterative development to deliver a high-quality product
- Partners closely with Product Owner and development team. Plan work out appropriately, effectively communicates and responds to escalations/inquiries.
- Bachelors degree in relevant field (business, computer science, etc.).
- Minimum of 7 years experience in business, engineering, technology and/or consulting. Masters degree preferred.
- Experience building and optimizing big data data pipelines, architectures and tools. ex. Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Working SQL and NoSQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases and unstructured data sets. ex. Postgres, Cassandra
- Experience building infrastructure to support data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable big data data stores. Ex. Apache NiFi
- Experience with AWS Cloud Services
- Experience with object-oriented/object function Scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Knowledge of Agile development methodologies and IT project management
- Experience in risk management assessment and optimization is a plus
- Able to depict complex ideas, issues and designs to varied audiences; educate SBU/department(s) on business vision and plan and the impact of change.
- Able to make difficult and quick decisions daily
- Able to influence a diverse group of stakeholders-strong leadership skills.
- Strong problem solver with ability to lead the team to push the solution and progress.
- Strong experimental mindset to drive innovation amidst uncertainty.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit:
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.