Director, Investment Accounting
Posted on Aug 11, 2019 by Assurant
Assurant has an exciting opportunity for a Director, Investment Accounting in our Woodbury, MN location!
This job is responsible for the technical accounting, reporting and analytics for the Companys $13 billion investment portfolio. This role will be involved with documentation of accounting policies, emerging accounting guidance, and analysis of new products. This role will have exposure to senior leaders of the organization.
- Aid in managing the technical activities of the investment portfolio assets which include bonds, stocks, mortgages, real estate, limited partnerships, derivatives, and consolidated VIEs
- Working closely with leader in Accounting Policy for the maintenance and updates of Investment Accounting policies as well as analysis, documentation, communication, and implementation as it relates to new accounting guidance
- Perform accounting research and lead communication and discussion with the investment department, business units, and senior leadership concerning new investment instruments or business opportunities
- Perform monthly analytics on the investment portfolio. Work with the operating companies, finance department, asset management and the tax department to determine what information they require and assist them in understanding the information investment results
- Review investment footnotes and MD&A disclosures
- Lead/represent the department on enterprise-wide initiatives.Includes prioritizing projects and resources as well as making decisions on behalf of the department
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent: Accounting/Finance
- Certified Public Accountant designation
- Approximately 10 years of accounting and accounting systems experience including management experience with at least 5 year of investment accounting experience.
- Knowledge of Statutory, GAAP and NAIC related issues
- Knowledge of GAAP and Statutory disclosure requirements as it relates to investments a plus
- Proven experience with communications via memos and PowerPoint presentations
Preferred Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Flexible, high energy individual with superior communication and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work well under pressure, be team oriented and handle multiple responsibilities.
- Is willing and able to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity and rapid change.
- Sets high standards of performance and challenges self to meet these standards.
- Emphasizes the need to deliver quality products and/or services.
- Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches.
- Speaks clearly and expresses self well in groups and in one-on-one conversations.
- Manages day to day operations by promoting a continuous improvement orientation to the work process.
- Builds trust with the others through authenticity and follows through on commitments.
- Encourages and empowers others to achieve tasks.Fosters collaboration among team members and among teams.
- Develops short- and long-range plans that are appropriately comprehensive, realistic and effective in meeting goals.
- Challenges the status quo and champions/manages new initiatives.