Principal Software Developer/Senior Software Developer
Posted on Aug 11, 2019 by Liberty Mutual Insurance
Senior Software Developer
We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as a tech startup within a Fortune 100 company, we are leading a digital disruption that will redefine how people experience insurance.
About the job:
This is a range posting and the description is posted as a Grade 17 Principal Senior Software Developer. However, candidates will be considered for Grades 16 (Senior Software Developer) in the Software Developer Job family.
The candidate will be part of a talented agile team working to build the next generation of Underwriting platform and solutions within the Global Retail Markets US business unit.
Responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate with a team of globally distributed staff and consultants to deliver complex software solutions.
- Drive full cycle end to end development from design through implementation.
- The role requires hands-on development, problem resolution and knowledge of various horizontal and vertical packages - spanning across all layers in the technical stack.
- In an Agile environment, work with business team members, product owners, and other software engineers to review and qualify business requirements, functional specifications, use-cases, and test plans.
- Design, prototype and author code for software components and applications based on functional specification and optimize them for system performance.
- Work along with onshore and offshore development team members with regards to sprint planning, release planning, and work prioritization across the Underwriting Solutions team.
- Partner with application architects as well as other application teams to implement solutions and ensure effective integration with downstream systems.
- Demonstrate strong technical architecture and leadership skills with ability to handle multiple activities in a dynamic and energizing environment.
- 5+ years of hands-on software design and development experience in commercial environments with demonstrated experience developing Applications and Services using JAVA, Spring, AWS, and other related technologies, preferably in an Agile environment.
- Strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills with track record of taking solution ownership.
- Experience with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services is a strong plus.
- Experience working with agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, XP) and cross-functional teams (Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Developers, Designers, Test Engineers).
- Demonstrates leadership and active pursuit of optimizing CI/CD process and tools, testing frameworks and practices (preferably GitHub, Jenkins/Bamboo, Mockito/JUnit/AssertJ, JMeter).
- Ideally familiar with Design Thinking, Behavior and Test-Driven Development.
- Subject matter expertise in ACORD XML a plus.
Benefits & Culture:
In GRM US Products and Underwriting, we embrace all of the values of our Fortune 100 company and push our practices and technology skill sets to the next level. In this organization, we are an agile set of teams dedicated to helping impact the lives of thousands of customers every day. We embrace a modern co-working style with exceptional work/life balance, ergonomic work areas, substantial benefits, and best-in-class amenities.
Liberty Mutual is one of America's Best Employers for Diversity and one of the Best Employers for Women, one of the Best Employers for New Grads and one of the Best Places to Work. We offer excellent benefits for our employees including generous parental leave, retirement plans including 401k and pension, education reimbursement, commuter benefits, college savings plans, and much more.
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace an environment that is free from all discrimination in the workplace, in its business, or by its vendors. Liberty Mutual values diversity and the differences and similarities of our employees. We foster a diverse and inclusive work environment that leads to better ideas, stronger teams and more innovative products and services for our customers.