Senior Vice President, Middle Market Underwriting Solutions
Posted on Aug 11, 2019 by Liberty Mutual Insurance
Are you ready for a dynamic position where you will be accountable for driving the business strategy for Middle Market Underwriting Solutions? We need someone who will ensure that the strategy is executed by the field organization! We are eager to find a leader who will direct the Middle Market Underwriting Solutions team for operationalizing the business strategy through underwriting approach, guidelines, and appetite. You will lead a team responsible for sharing technical expertise through transactional support, consults, training, and audits across all general property and casualty lines within National Insurance. This role shares responsibility with underwriting management for profitable growth of the Middle Market book of business.
- Responsible for final approval of the business strategy for the Middle Market book of business. Partners with management to ensure consistent execution of strategy in order to attain profitable growth.
- Maintains final approval and accountability for Middle Market underwriting guidelines and ownership of underwriting authority. Partners with Product Management, Risk Control, Data & Analytics& Actuarial for supporting analysis and development of underwriting tools, pricing strategy and guidelines.
- Leads a high-performing technical underwriting team who serve as expert resources and that provide transactional support and technical guidance to underwriters working on Middle Market accounts throughout NI via referrals, consults, roundtables, etc.
- Through consultations with field staff and monitoring of the book of business, team proactively identifies technical training needs and partners with internal stakeholders on development and delivery of training to support becoming an elite underwriting organization.
- Ensures local presence of technical experts with the field underwriting organization to build closer relationships, provide ease of use, and gain a better understanding of the local marketplace. Team is responsible for frequent regional field office visits.
- Establishes a presence in the external market along with Distribution & Underwriting to build key relationships, communicate strategy, vision, reaction to market trends, etc.
- Quality assurance: ensures consistency and oversees field audits.
- Technical skills: Advanced knowledge of commercial property and casualty, including competitive conditions; insurance operations; finance and actuarial concepts; regulatory environment; reinsurance; account management; underwriting; loss control; producer management; and industry trends.
- Professional/General Business skills: Managerial courage; ability to set direction, create alignment and inspire/motivate; creativity/entrepreneurial skills; work cross-functionally by engaging and motivating people; negotiation; influencing others; communicating effectively (listening, verbal, written, etc.); adapt, learn quickly, and respond effectively to varied and intense challenges.
- As normally acquired through an advanced degree or equivalent training, 12 or more years of relevant experience, several of which should be in an operations management capacity.
- History managing an Underwriting P&L.
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace an environment that is free from all discrimination in the workplace, in its business, or by its vendors. Liberty Mutual values diversity and the differences and similarities of our employees. We foster a diverse and inclusive work environment that leads to better ideas, stronger teams and more innovative products and services for our customers. Learn more
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being.
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.