Charge Nurse - Med/Surg
Posted on Aug 9, 2019 by SSM Health St. Anthony Hospital
Utilize the nursing process in care delivery and provide nursing leadership for other patient care personnel.
- Coordinates all patient care activities and provides supervision of staff RNs, LPNs, and Techs on the assigned unit.
- Assigns and delegates the care of all patients on the unit based on patient acuity and needs and the skill level of the nursing staff.
- Utilizes advanced clinical knowledge and critical thinking skills in the performance of all aspects of the Staff RN role and acts as a resource to all staff on the assigned unit.
- Works collaboratively with physicians and other health care providers to deliver excellent care to all patients on the unit and actively participates in the resolution of problems and complaints.
- Assist the nurse manager in the interview, evaluation, and discipline processes for all staff supervised on the assigned unit.
- Demonstrates awareness for financial performance by ensuring unit operates efficiently and productively, specifically when supplying and staffing the unit. Also when appropriate, provides assistance with budget planning for the unit.
- Perform other duties that correspond to the overall functions of this position.
- Licensed by the Oklahoma Board of Nursing as a Registered Nurse. Professional specialty certification required for certified incumbents.
- One year of experience as a registered nurse with demonstrated leadership ability and supervisory potential.
- Current CPR (Healthcare Provider).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
Employees in this position are, or can be, required to possess the following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 100 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily
- Standing or walking more than 5 hours a day
- Running to respond to patient emergencies
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 3 hours a day.
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body sounds (ie, respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper operation
St. Anthony Hospital is a 601-bed regional referral facility specializing in cardiology, oncology, surgery and behavioral medicine. The hospital, established in 1898, is located in Midtown Oklahoma City and serves the needs of Central Oklahoma, as well as many counties throughout Oklahoma, through its large rural affiliate network of hospitals. Four St. Anthony Healthplex campuses provide convenient emergency and outpatient service access to the outlying communities of the metropolitan area. St. Anthony added urgent care services in May 2015 at St. Anthony North. St. Anthony has received numerous awards including the Oklahoma Quality Award for Excellence, Certified Healthy Business, Premier QUEST® Award for High-value Healthcare Citation of Merit, among others. Healthsights ranks St. Anthony at performance levels for quality and patient satisfaction higher than local competitors and many national health care organizations.