Posted on Aug 7, 2019 by University of Iowa
University Dining, part of the Division of Student Life at the University of Iowa, is seeking a Chef to ensure the quality and presentation of foods prepared and served within the Hillcrest Market Place, as well as special events and associated activities. This position will schedule, train, supervise and coordinate the work of assigned staff involved in food preparation and service.
About University Dining:
University Dinings goal at Iowa is to provide wholesome, healthy and tasty foods prepared daily to meet the dietary and nutritional needs of our students. Our staff is committed to exceeding expectations of our dining guests. We are also committed to providing sustainable products and services that protect our natural resources. When possible, we purchase locally grown and sustainable foods from our vendors. Our market places are vibrant, dynamic places to work and to eat.
About the Division of Student Life:
The Division of Student Life is comprised of staff that embrace new ideas and thoughts, works together to keep our students safe, and provides them with life-changing experiences. The Division of Student Life includes 14 departments that span from Recreation Services to Student Involvement and Leadership and everything in between. We believe in working together as one team to achieve our mission: fostering student success by creating and promoting inclusive educationally purposeful services and activities within and beyond the classroom. One of our division priorities is to advance UIs goals to recruit and retain U.S. racial/ethnic minority (URM) staff and students.
This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For questions or additional information, please contact .
Successful candidate(s) will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Bachelors degree in Dietetics, Foods and Nutrition, Institutional Management, Hotel & Restaurant Administration or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience (typically 1-3 years) in preparation and distribution of foods utilizing the latest techniques and knowledge of trends.
- Some experience (typically 1 yea) in food service management, including supervising and inventory control.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with a diverse group of clientele with the ability to model open, respectful, accepting, and supportive behaviors with team members.
- Reasonable knowledge of computer software applications (i.e. Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Ability to obtain and maintain ServSafe certification.
- Some experience in banquet planning, working in large scale food service, and retail operations.
- Some experience with electronic payroll and timekeeping systems.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills. Ability to work with a diverse population.
- Creative, innovative, and self-motivated individual with strong commitment to teamwork and customer service.