Rail Systems Design Engineer Apprentice
Posted on Aug 7, 2019 by TSS Solutions Ltd
Are you looking for a new and exciting opportunity to kick start your career?
Are you interested in working in a hands on, exciting and rewarding environment?
Are you ready to challenge yourself and learn new skills and gain on the job experience?
This role is a fantastic opportunity to work within the UK world of Rail.
Sounds Great? But what will I learn
How to become a systems design engineer within the UK Rail environment
- How to plan the operational communicatins equipment across the UK rail infrastructure
- How to work within multiple operational engineer departments to gain a broad view of the business and engineering role within it.
- The methods and systems needed for accurate communication, reporting and recording of technical and other information
- To understand and adhere to the Health & Safety requirements of the UK rail infrastructure
- How to install, test and commission a vast array of products across multiple technologies and manufacturers and how to plan these installations
- To work in a multitude of environments from offices, equipment rooms, stations and trackside
- To work as part of a team or work alone
- The requirements of the different customers and contracts and how to fulfil those needs
- To act as a telent ambassador
- How to own problems and take the responsibility of solving them
Be proactive in supporting telent and recognising when colleagues need help
- The apprenticeship is 3 years long
- You will be mentored by colleagues, supervisors and managers throughout the scheme
- On completion of the scheme you will have a BTEC Level 3 as a Rail Engineering Technician
- On completion of the course you will have a full PTS card
- On completion of the scheme you will be a fully qualified telent field engineer and have the opportunity to integrate into the Full time workforce
- You will be exposed to multiple operational engineer departments to gain a broad view of the business and engineering's role within it.
- The apprenticeship is a managed scheme with a mix between apprenticeship course work, on site working and vendor exams (block release)
- You will gain industry recognised certificates
- Telent works countrywide so be prepared to see the UK from top to bottom. You will be expected to occasionally stay away from home through the telent expense scheme
- A lot of the major work is carries out during bank holidays and weekends so be prepared to also work unsociable hours
- The Weather doesn't stop us!
Still Interested? What will you need?
To qualify to join telent as an apprentice you must:
- Have a minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A* - C specifically in Maths, English and Science or an IT related subject
- Have a full UK driving licence by the start of the apprenticeship with no endorsements
- Possess normal colour vision & hearing
- Pass and adhere to telent's strict Drugs & Alcohol policy
To excel and develop in the telent apprenticeship scheme you must:
- Have an interest in developing your skills
- Be able to commit 100% to the programme and your personal development
- Basic knowledge of windows operating systems
- A strong focus on client and customer service
- Experience in communicating with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong planning and organising skills
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills
- Be able to undertake physically demanding work and possess normal colour vision and hearing
- Be able to work at heights
- Be an effective communicator both written and verbal
- Have a positive, can-do attitude
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Be flexible and willing to work different shift patterns
- Be keen to work outdoors in all kinds of environments
So Want to know more about telent?
Every time you pick up the phone, surf the Internet, travel on a motorway, catch a train, bus or tube, or even dial 999; chances are telent have enabled the technology to make this happen.
With current annual revenues of £399M, 2,200 employees and 50 operational locations across the UK and Ireland, we are a leading technology company which designs and delivers solutions and services for organisations to create, improve and maintain their ICT, mission critical communications networks and operational systems, vital in the effective operation of the nation's infrastructure.
At the heart of many of the UK's best-known brands, telent operates within multiple industry sectors including Transport, Service Provider, Public Safety, Defence and Government.
telent's industry expertise and professionalism make the company a Partner of choice for organisations at the forefront of the digital revolution including BAE Systems, BT, Highways England, Interoute, London Ambulance Service, Merseyside Fire & Rescue, Metropolitan Police, Network Rail, RNLI, Sky, Transport for London, Virgin Media and Vodafone.
Excellent employee benefits:
telent is committed to ensuring that we offer industry leading career opportunities, salary and benefits packages.
Join us and you can expect to receive:
- 33 days holiday, including public holidays, plus the option to buy or sell five days each year
- Company pension scheme
- A range of family friendly policies including childcare vouchers
- An employee-funded car leasing scheme
- Occupational health support
- telent is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion.
- We reserve the right to close this vacancy once we have received sufficient applications.