Posted on Aug 6, 2019 by Seattle Pacific University
Staff - May 03, '19
About Seattle Pacific University:
Founded in 1891, Seattle Pacific University has a long and distinguished history in Christian higher education. Located just minutes from downtown Seattle, SPU seeks to be a premier Christian University fully committed to engaging the culture and changing the world by graduating people of competence and character, becoming people of wisdom, and modeling grace-filled community. Seattle Pacific University seeks applicants committed to its Christian mission. Due to our mission of cultural engagement, SPU is committed to building an excellent and diverse staff and faculty. People from historically underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
General Summary: Performs semi-skilled tasks related to the maintenance and repair of buildings and related facilities and equipment.
- Performs maintenance and repairs to plumbing systems such as replacing pipe, water heaters, plumbing fixtures (toilets, faucets, shower heads, shower valves), soap dispensers, toilet seats, faucet washers, flushometers, gaskets, and valves; clears plumbing stoppages; and cleans sediment traps and drain pans.
- Lubricates fans, motors, pumps, and operating hardware.
- Repairs and replaces insulation.
- Cleans bearings, fan housings, fan squirrel cages or other impellers, light fixture diffusers, reflectors, and lens.
- Repairs and replaces light fixtures, receptacles, lamps of all types, fluorescent ballasts, exit fixtures, emergency light fixtures, lamp holders, and lamp sockets, switches, outlets, thermostat, fuses, small motors, conduit, and exit signs.
- Maintains and replaces door hardware such as closers, panic bars, hinges, thresholds, and kick plates.
- Repairs and replaces residence hall furniture as needed. This may involves moving furniture and equipment.
- Maintains, repairs and replaces building architectural systems and elements, involving windows, doors, insulation, minor roof cleaning and repairs, floor covering, screens, window coverings, furniture, ceilings and ceiling tiles, gutters, and stairs.
- Performs work in support of minor alteration jobs such as rough concrete or carpentry work, demolition, site cleaning, delivery of supplies and materials, and removal of trash, rubbish, debris, excess stock, packing and other materials.
- Performs minor wall repairs involving, taping, mudding, texturing, and finishing drywall. Performs minor amounts of painting of interior and exterior building surfaces, trim, doors, and windows by brushing or rolling.
- Works independently. Works strategically to efficiently manage workload. Displays professional and positive customer service attitude with a variety of personalities and requests. Makes decisions in the field within specific guidelines.
- Inspects residential buildings in order to create lists of maintenance and repair needs utilizing TMA software on university issued iPad.
- Assesses buildings for vandalism and reports findings to supervisor utilizing TMA software on university issued iPad.
- Assists other trades with carpentry, painting, plastering, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical projects when called upon.
- Carries and deploys ladders. Performs work from ladders, elevated platforms and rooftops.
- Inspects worksite for planned work's impact on other faculty, staff, and students. Consults with his supervisor and our departmental safety plans to ensure safety and regulatory compliance. Works with his/her supervisor to either prevent or communicate planned outages with key staff and residents.
- Will be on-call on a rotating basis approximately 4 times per year. The person on-call is responsible to be available via phone or pager during off-hours, including weekends, and be able to respond to the campus within two hours of being contacted. While serving on-call this position may perform a variety of maintenance activities such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing, door hardware/locks.
- All Facilities employees are designated as "essential staff" and are subject to working during times that the university closes due to inclement weather or an emergency.
- Earns and maintains a minimum of 16-hour Asbestos Worker Certification. Receive training and perform some mold remediation.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Education or training at the level to ensure ability to understand, speak, read, and write English. Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Minimum of 3 years successful work experience in preventative maintenance or a related field that demonstrates mechanical aptitude.
- Work experience that proves good judgement in making decisions, asking for help, bringing forward problems, communication with others, and working around moving machinery and electricity.
- Must have a valid Washington State Driver's license. Must be able to drive service vehicle. Must maintain a good driving record
- Ability to achieve and maintain a minimum of 16-hour Asbestos Worker Certification (training will be provided as needed). Must be physically able to perform mold remediation (training will be provided).
- Ability to properly use hand tools and power equipment used in the trade.
- Must be able to load and unload materials. Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds. Must be able to carry, deploy, climb and lift different size ladders. Ability to work from ladders and elevated platforms. Must be able to climb stairs and ladders while carrying supplies or equipment. Must be able to access all areas of campus, including building roofs, any hour of the day or night.
- Ability to learn and act on new technical or complex information.
- Effective work habits, including commitment to quality of work, attention to detail, time management and organizational skills.
- Strong commitment to the University's Christian ministry and mission statement.
Position will remain open until filled.
This is a full time position with excellent benefits. SPU pays the employee premium for medical, dental, and vision insurance. SPU makes contributions to an employee HSA account and to a retirement account after one year of eligibility in the plan. Tuition discount program available for the employee and qualified immediate family members.
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with the online application.