Assistant Director, Student Support and Persistence
Posted on Aug 6, 2019 by University of Iowa
The Tippie College of Business is seeking an Assistant Director of Student Support and Persistence. This position is responsible for the coordination and assistance in assigned program areas, advising students on academic issues, and participating in the administration of policies, programs, and procedures related to undergraduate students. Responsibilities will require some time outside 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
The Undergraduate Program encourages students to learn by doingengaging students to broaden their world view, communicate with clarity, gain business skills and knowledge, value the diversity of others, and work together to achieve common goals. We are committed to developing socially responsible and innovative leaders who do things the right way.
Recruit, Admit & Retain Prospective & Current Students for Program, Major Department or Colleges
- Provide holistic advising to both prospective and current undergraduate business students regarding: academics, registration, admission requirements, professional development, involvement opportunities, study abroad, graduation, and policies and procedures.
- Refer students to appropriate resources for help with personal issues, tutoring, testing and placement, career advising, and financial aid.
- Teach a section(s) of the Direct Admit Seminar. The direct admit seminar is designed to facilitate a successful transition to college for first-year students. Topics include Tippie traditions and expectations; skills for academic success; academic opportunities; campus resources; career exploration skills; living and working in a multicultural and global society.
- Through the use of data management processes for early identification of students facing academic challenges and coordinate systems of outreach and response to support advisors in the Undergraduate Program Office in communicating with these students.
- Assist Associate Director, Recruiting and Admissions with the admission review of returning students.
- Provide advising and support for students returning from a significant absence from the Tippie College and monitor their progress toward degree.
- Serve as point of contact in the Undergraduate Program Office for policies and procedures affecting students at risk for probation, dismissal, and withdrawal from enrollment.
- Serve as liaison to University Counseling Service.
- Assist with preparation of probation reports and facilitate the communication of probation decisions and required follow up actions with advisors and students.
- Assist with processing of second-grade option, special credit, and petition requests.
- Co-coordinate evaluation of transfer courses from US institutions for Tippie course equivalency. Facilitate communication about equivalencies with Tippie academic departments and the Office of Admissions.
- Design outreach programs and services to foster positive academic habits for Tippie students, with emphasis on students at risk for probation, dismissal, and withdrawal from enrollment.
- Collaborate with College and campus partners to develop and implement programs and initiatives aimed at supporting students and creating a diverse and inclusive community in the Tippie College.
- Coordinate the Tippie Learning Coaches tutoring program. Hire and supervise student tutors (coaches). Plan and monitor budget for coaches. Assess program and recommend services based on need of the student population.
- Serve as primary point of contact in the Undergraduate Program Office for the early alert system and use of data to intervene with students at risk for poor academic performance.
- Represent the Undergraduate Program Office on the Leadership Team and other campus committees as needed.
- Maintain information about campus emergency response procedures. Provide staff with updates and best practices for working with students in crisis.
Please attach a resume and cover letter (submission-relevant) that clearly indicates how you meet the qualifications listed. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
There is an expectation that the person in this position will maintain effective, civil, and respectful working relationships with the University of Iowa campus community and uphold a high standard of cultural competency and respect for difference that represents the Tippie College of Business commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Successful candidates will be subject to a credential and criminal background check.
Please note regarding references: Five professional references will be requested and required at a later step in the recruitment process.
- Bachelors degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Typically 1 to 3 years in a student services role supporting undergraduate success such as academic advising, academic support, and retention, residence life, admission counseling, career advising, student life or similar.
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with a diverse population.
- Working knowledge of and experience in program management and/or event planning and execution.
- Expert knowledge of and ability to communicate effectively with individuals and large groups both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency in MS Office computer applications.
- Demonstrated constructive and collaborative relationship building skills with a variety of individuals and groups, including peers, leadership and external constituents.
- Masters degree in business, student affairs or a related field.
- Reasonable experience working individually with undergraduate students in an ongoing advising or mentoring capacity.
- Reasonable experience with planning, implementing, and assessing student persistence programs and their impact.
- Knowledge of University of Iowa policies and procedures related to undergraduate students.