Posted on Aug 1, 2019 by Northwest Iowa Community College
DIVISION: Arts & Science/Business & Health
SUPERVISOR: Dean-Arts & Sciences/Business & Health Division
BASIC FUNCTION: Full-time, nine month contract. This position includes instructional responsibility for courses including but not limited to: Composition I, Composition II, Technical Communications, Fundamentals of English Grammar, Public Speaking, and Oral Communications. Teaching assignments may include other course work within the disciplines of English and Communications. Courses to be taught may include instruction within the Arts and Sciences as well as Career and Technical programs.
Required - Masters Degree in English or Communications, or a Masters Degree with 18 graduate hours in English and/or Communications.
Preferred - Additional degree or graduate course work in the communications area.
Previous collegiate level instructional experience.
The successful applicant for this position will be required to meet the new instructor criterion as established by the Northwest Iowa Community College Quality Faculty Plan.
Copies of all academic transcripts are required. Unofficial copies are acceptable at the time of application. Upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment, a complete set of original transcripts will be required.
DESIRED QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS:
1. Exhibit knowledge in the areas of communications appropriate to higher education instruction.
2. Ability to work with wide range of students.
3. Ability to provide effective instruction in a broad spectrum of courses within the disciplines of communications.
1. Conduct effective instruction in all assigned areas, using approved course outlines.
2. Develop and maintain current course syllabi/outlines for assigned courses.
3. Notify the Division Dean, Vice President of Student and Academic Services, designee, or individual in charge as early as possible of inability to meet a class.
4. Measure and evaluate student progress and maintain accurate grade computations. Submit grade reports to Student Services according to designated timelines.
5. Attend all faculty and division meetings and serve on college committees as appropriate.
6. Recommend library books and films.
7. Assist in the budgeting process by identifying instructional materials and equipment.
8. Counsel, advise, and/or refer students as appropriate.
10. Maintain evidence of competency achievement (knowledge and application of knowledge) and demonstrate continuous professional development as outlined in the Quality Faculty Plan.
11. Assist in promotion and recruitment of the instructor's respective program(s).
12. Submit requisitions for needed supplies to immediate supervisor.
13. Serve as a resource person for students and graduates regarding job opportunities.
14. Enforce all Northwest Iowa Community College student policies.
15. Participate in professional development activities.
16. Provide students written course expectations, including course objectives, attendance policy, methods of evaluation, and grading practices.
WAGE/SALARY RANGE: $38,384 to $42,500 (nine-month contract, 172 days)
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Applications accepted until the position is filled.