Senior Principal Operational Analyst - (Operational Research, Decision
Posted on Aug 1, 2019 by CV-Library
An opportunity has arisen for a dynamic individual to join the Operational Analysis (OA) sector. The role includes scoping, leading and contributing to wide range of analytical studies and experimentation exercises. Emphasis is on how future MBDA products will be used and how they can contribute to operational capability for the customer in a cost-effective way. The successful candidate is likely to be an experienced problem solver with a broad understanding of the military operational environment.
Working with internal and external stakeholders to scope, plan and deliver a wide range of OA, experimentation and decision support studies.
Typical activities include:
- Identifying and exploring User needs and requirements
- Effectiveness studies (typically supporting design trade-offs, or comparisons of system options),Cost-effectiveness studies and Force mix studies
- Developing an outline concept of employment (CONEMP) and identifying effective tactics for future weapon systems
- Building understanding the Future Operating Environment includingdevelopment of vignettes and scenarios
A wide range of tools and techniques are used including:
- Qualitative / ‘soft’ analysis techniques
- Statistical analysis
- Simulation and modelling using established in-house tools (developed by another team)
- Ad hoc models developed in a spreadsheet, MATLAB or simulation package
You would promote the work of the team; build and maintain relationships with internal and external customers, be responsible for developing new work for the team. As well as supporting the development of OA functional capability, through the effective development of people, tools, methods and knowledge management activities.
What’s in it for you?
- Varied work for a diverse range of customers / projects.
- Building relationships at all levels across the business.
- Supporting the conceptual development of future weapon systems in air, land and maritime domains.
- Opportunity to interact with the Military User, Dstl and the wider customer community, as well as the analytical and technical community within the UK defence industry.
- Exploiting your high level view and systems thinking to work at ‘system’, ‘system of system’ and ‘portfolio’ levels.
- Using your skills and experience to help develop and maintain OA functional capability within MBDA.
What’s great about the team?
- As part of the Operational Analysis team within Future Systems you will be working in a dynamic, forward looking and international environment, supporting studies for the MBDA’s systems of tomorrow
- The team has a wide range of internal customers, which provides a high level view of the business and lots of variety in all domains: Air to Air, Air Defence, Surface Attack, Strike & Battlefield. Tasks are relatively short duration and we often have to respond at short notice.
What are we looking for?
- Ideally degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- Basic understanding of physical principles associated with weapon systems and missiles, and systems engineering processes
- Broad understanding of the military operational environment
- Awareness and practical experience of a range of OA techniques
- Strong analytical skills and systems thinking; able to structure information, draw conclusions and make recommendations
- Able to prepare clear concise reports and presentations
- Able to deliver presentations and lead workshops, pitching information at the right level of detail
- Proactive, able to seek out contacts, elicit information and suggest solutions
- Able to lead small teams, work as part of a team and liaise with others at all levels throughout the company, and build effective relationships with customers
- Experience of managing and developingpeople
- Able to define and execute a ‘Concept of Analysis’ (approach / plan) that meets customer needs
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, that may be dispersed and international in nature
- Able to see and understand the ‘big picture’ and think about many things at once, as well as keeping track of the detail
- Thrives in a working environment where there can be frequent change, uncertainty and ambiguity
- Potential and willingness to develop within the OA Sector
What would you get?
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)