Sensor & Instrumentation Engineer
Posted on Aug 1, 2019 by CV-Library
John Crane is currently recruiting a Sensor & Instrumentation Engineer to be based in Manchester on a permanent basis.
You will work on the development of electronics, sensors and mechatronic solutions that transform John Crane products such as mechanical seals, couplings and filtration systems into smart, connected Industrial IoT devices.
Focusing on research and development of new sensor technologies and supporting electronics for the next generation of predictive diagnostics solutions at John Crane. At the same time, the role includes adaptation of commercially-available sensors from adjacent industries for applications in rotating equipment in support of John Crane product development requirements.
This is a great opportunity to join John Crane - a Global Leader in the industry with an excellent reputation – in a fast-paced and challenging role, with a high level of responsibility and chance for career progression.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Research new sensing technologies for measuring temperature, pressure, vibration, acoustics, fluid flow, presence of liquid or solid particles, electric current signature, and other parameters.
* Design methods of applying sensors such as thermocouples, RTDs, pressure transducers, accelerometers, etc. within mechanical components of machines.
* Design and development of electro-mechanical sensors and instrumentation.
* Test product prototypes that include sensors, data acquisition devices, application software, and other components within a system. Utilize company’s testing facilities and provide liaison with third party laboratory testing. Create test plans and issue reports.
* Propose and implement product improvement ideas aimed at ease of installation, increased usability and cost reduction of sensors and data acquisition devices. Participate in R&D innovation process.
* Work with third party consultants to meet the necessary regulatory requirements, such as safety and hazardous locations certifications, as required by the product specifications.
* Work with sensor suppliers on custom engineered sensors and accessories. Manage project documentation, create and implement testing plans.
* Additional duties and responsibilities will vary based upon departmental needs.
Required Skills and Experience:
* An honours degree in Engineering ideally Electrical, Control, Electronics or Mechatronics Engineering
* A strong research interest with hands-on experience in sensor and instrumentation development for physical parameter measurements (e.g., temperature, strain/stress, force, pressure, chemical, vibration, acoustic/ultrasonic, etc.)
* Experience in developing prototypes from concept, including sensor design and fabrication, analogue /digital circuit (electronics including op-amps, circuit modelling and simulation, schematics, PCB design, ADC/DAC circuitry), data acquisition, instrument interfacing, and signal processing.
* Excellent IT skills, including the ability to use specialist application software tools for data acquisition, hardware control and data analysis such as LabVIEW, MATLAB, Micro-controllers and embedded firmware skills in C, I2C/SPI/UART programming interfaces
* Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, including report writing skills and experience of delivering presentations.
* Design experience with FPGA and microcontrollers such as ARM, STM, ATmel
* Experience with Linux or scripting languages e.g. Python*
* Power management, battery design
* Understanding of concepts Machine learning, Artificial Intelligence AI, Internet of things (IoT),
* Knowledge of SolidEdge or equivalent CAD tool
* Experience in the oil and gas industry
* Experience with vibration and acoustic measurements
* Experience with remote condition monitoring and instrumentation
* Knowledge of industrial electronic systems including enclosures, electrical connectors, cabling, and mounting hardware
John Crane is a global leader in rotating equipment solutions, supplying engineered technologies and services to process industries. The company designs and manufactures a variety of products including mechanical seals and systems, couplings, bearings, filtration systems and predictive digital monitoring technologies. John Crane customer service is accessed through a global network of more than 200 sales and service facilities in over 50 countries. Fiscal year 2016 revenue was greater than 1 Billion USD (£830m). John Crane is part of Smiths Group, a global leader in applying advanced technologies for markets in threat and contraband detection, energy, medical devices, communications, and engineered components