Navigation Sensors Project Engineer
Posted on Aug 1, 2019 by CV-Library
An exciting opportunity has arisen in a rapidly evolving international team with increasing capabilities. The Navigation Sensors Group is responsible for the specification and assessment of inertial and satellite navigation equipment for MBDA. Each member of the team performs a range of tasks and engages regularly with other areas of the business, external suppliers and customers. As part of a growing team with abundant opportunities, you will be a key contributor to our continued success.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work within a small technical team specifying inertial sensor and GNSS (GPS) technologies. Project Engineering and technical project management experience is essential as you will be a key point of contact with project, suppliers and customers.
Although a solid understanding of MEMS sensors and their use within Inertial Navigations Systems (INS) is desirable, it is more important to be a good, rounded technical engineer from a low volume/ high reliability/defence related background. Responsibilities will include electronics packaging, team management, report writing, managing AIT activities and ensuring the products meet the needs of the projects. You will be regularly interacting with UK and European colleagues and suppliers.
In addition to this primary role, a variety of other experiences are available, including;
- Acting as Sub-System Lead and/ Project Engineer for one or more key programmes,
- Development, procurement, parameterisation, verification and/or validation of complex hardware performance models
- Monitoring supplier and technology roadmaps and identifying cutting edge and future technologies for investment
- Providing technical expertise in design reviews and other forums
- Attending internal and external international workshops and conferences
- Supporting inertial equipment assessment trials in conjunction with French colleagues
- Undertaking research and design activities in conjunction with French, Italian and/or German colleagues
- Supporting and managing the growth and improvement of existing and future test facilities
- Specifying, assessing and managing the procurement of GPS sensor systems, including receivers and antennas.
What’s in it for you?
- Varied work with a range of opportunities to support your professional development
- Development of inertial expertise & opportunity to cultivate/improve knowledge of satellite & other aiding navigation technologies
- Involvement in the strategic growth of a rapidly evolving team
- Collaborative international working
- UK-wide & European travel
What’s great about the team?
You will be joining a growing team with both the motivation to excel and a good sense of humour! You will have the opportunity to apply your experience and enthusiasm for inertial and aiding navigation sensor technologies to support the development and production of some of the most advanced missile systems in the world.
What are we looking for?
- Qualified to degree-level or equivalent experience
- Ability to make decisions and not procrastinate
- Background in Electronics
- Experience of technical sub-contractor management
- Experience with good engineering practices, such as requirements definition, design certification & validation, and configuration control
- Ability to motivate self to achieve demanding and evolving tasks while maintaining a calm professional manner
- Flexible, “can do” attitude, enthusiasm and a willingness to get involved
- Initiative to lead tasks and work independently when required
- Project and work package management
- Experience with configuration and requirements management tools.
- Knowledge and experience of inertial sensors and systems, including MEMS.
- Appreciation of system design & integration challenges
- Knowledge of Ring Laser and Fibre Optic Gyro’s
- Modelling skills including proficiency with tools such as MATLAB and/or Simulink
- Knowledge of satellite navigation sensors and systems and/or other inertial navigation aiding technologies
- French cultural awareness
What would you get?
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)